My beardy doesn't like me handling him, HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warii

I've posted about this issue before, however I've taken a few suggested measures from my previous post.
I have a young male bearded whose age I do not know, but he is about 8 inchs long, but not very thick.
I've had him for about a two months now, and while he's settled into his habitat, he still hasn't seem to come to terms with being handled.

Before I got him I put in extensive research about Beardeds, and it said they are a type of lizard who do not mind handling, and are rather affectionate.
My beardy doesn't seem to be that way.
When I put my hand in the cage he tenses, and will back up or run away from my hand, I usually approach him from the front hoping he will crawl into my hand, if that doesn't work i usually pick him up from the side.
When I am actually holding him he doesn't relax no matter what way I hold him. He tries to get away and has even jumped from my hands several times, this always worries me because there are things he could easily get under and I wouldn't be able to grab him there.
He has even puffed up and opened his mouth at me when I've tried to pick him up once in a threatening display.

I've followed the suggestions of poster's before but they don't seem to be making a difference.
I've put in a shirt that I have worn that is covered in my scent in his cage in hope's it will get him use to the way I smell, but it doesn't seem to be working.
I've also tried getting him to associate handling with food by holding him and feeding him with tweezers.
I've also been softly talking to him while holding him, doesn't seem to help and sometimes seems to make it worse...
When I hold him I usually stroke him down his back, since most animals find petting comforting, when I do this I use the pad of one finger very lightly.

Nothing really seems to be working...
Could this be because he's young and is still very hyper, territorial, alert, and still unaccustomed to things?
What could be causing this, and what can I do to make him stop wanting to run away from me when I handle him?
Am I doomed to have a unaffectionate beardy who doesn't like being handled?

msmisty

Some bds take longer to tame then others. You could try giving him food when you interact with him, as a treat ( I dont know if this would work) but I WOULD NOT GIVE IT TO HIM BY HAND, BECAUSE I DID THIS AND I WAS MISTAKEN FOR FOOD :bleick: . But some bds are just grumpy. Hope that helps, Good Luck

Kemp

My new bd is the same way. I don't know what to do. I told my wife and kids that they are friendly, and we could hold him, but mine hides whenever we go near his viv. My kids have never seen him eat or move, and the only reason I have is because I will sit there still for an hour so he will come out. He is eating like crazy, even greens when I'm not around, but it is sad. My family has almost given up on him, and my wife is telling me to get some other kind of pet that would be "child friendly. I don't want to give up.... Sorry I can't help you, as I have the same problem, my beardie hates me..

msmisty

Dont give up on him, bds are like you and me we all different. Some bds take long to tame. The best thing is just to spend little time with them every day, and they will start to come around. GOOD LUCK (I would give u more help but im about to get a tattoo :mrgreen: )

msmisty

Dont give up on him, bds are like you and me we all different. Some bds take long to tame. The best thing is just to spend little time with them every day, and they will start to come around. GOOD LUCK (I would give u more help but im about to get a tattoo :mrgreen: )

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
Every one askes this :lol:

"my beardie is not tame" or " my beardie doesn't likes me" etc..

Its the same all over again,

I had sand lizards I know how to do them tame
Hold your beardie in your hand for a few mins, if it doesn't likes it and jumps around tell him "easy boy/girl" and pet it, it will stop, then put it on the ground and let it run, give it a few treats like a strawberry (small pieces) or salad or maybe 1 mealworm I have tried this on my sand lizzies and it worked, Godzilla a green beautiful sand lizard was already so tame when it was on my hand and I said "up" he runned to my shoulder and nested himself on my shoulder :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom