My beardie needs a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

daemonicsoul

Hello, I've had my beardie named Daxx now for over a year, and I was wondering what sort of friend I can get for him. I'm sure the reflection of himself in the glass will only lead to a sort of insanity (because I would be NUTS).

A little about his life is he's spent most of it inside of a terrarium, though for the last 10 months or so he was out and about in a very warm apartment. He's moved back into his terrarium now, and exhibited some signs of stress (hitting his head on various things). That has passed and he's timid again, however I've wanted a little friend for him for a while now. Female dragon will not work because I only want 1 tank running, and he's a boy in his season (little beard is turning black). Another boy would be even worse.

I read on a different forum that savannah monitors can cohabit with beardies. I was also looking into uromastyx, skinks, or swifts. Something larger, possibly same size with defenses or speed. Opinions??

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't recommend having anything else cohabitating with your beardie - they are territorial and I think they do need to have their own 'territories'.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
pogvitt":3gdiom3y said:
I wouldn't recommend having anything else cohabitating with your beardie - they are territorial and I think they do need to have their own 'territories'.

+1
It's best for him to be by himself in a tank. They are solitary animals, so no "roommates".

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
He is best left alone. They are solitary creatures. A Sav monitor when large enough can see a smaller dragon as food/prey. Uro's require much higher temps than bearded dragons.Skinks are ground dwellers who like to burrow and hide.
They all have individual needs. Your dragon does not need a friend.

daemonicsoul

Original Poster
Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. I guess the next lizard will have to be solo, and when I'm in a bigger place as well.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
That's great that you checked to see if different lizard species can cohabitate with beardies before buying another lizard - kudos.

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
Another thing to think about is if the new friend you got for your beardie was smaller than the beardie it might become lunch. They will eat anything smaller than they are and anything that moves is fair game. They eat small lizards in the wild when they can catch them. Try facing him towards the tv. Mine likes to watch cartoons. He no longer faces the tv and I have honestly been comtemplating adding a small screen for him to watch inside his viv when I am working and cant take him out as much.

daemonicsoul

Original Poster
Daxx loves watching the world go by. I used to set him up on a desk near a window, take him out for walks, and his domain is set up to have basking spots visible to the TV. Ironically, he's a fan of Dragonball Z. I'll look into getting a larger tank, put in a seperator wall and possibly have a buddy, but on another side of a wall. Safer for everyone and no super expensive lunches!

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
:D hi hun, i would agree that cross species together is a no, and a year old male needing a matey is a no. males can be very teritorial :angry5: and woudnt take a chance, i keep two colonys of beardies :p and all have been introduced to each other from being a few weeks old. i was going to put my male into the large female viv in a few months time but have now decided against it :study: :study: . hes allways been by himself since i imported him from terri fire n ice. and i dont want to upset my girls , its just not worth it and he lvoes his castle in my bedroom , dont change what already works i say.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom