My Beardie Just Started Digging a Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our bearded dragon, Rocky, is about 10 months old and we've had him for four months. He recently started digging a lot in his cage. We use playground sand in the bottom. He makes a huge mess in his food dish and his water bowl. Should we be worried about this or is this just typical beardie behavior?

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
my guy trashes the tank all the time....i wouldnt say he is digging but sand is deffinatly EVERWHERE...are you sure he is male if its female...have you introduced her to a male??...maybe preggo

if its male he is probly just playing

joesaldivar

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. We don't know if it is male or female but he (or she) hasn't been around any other beardies. I guess he's just messy.
I noticed in the posts that other owners seem to take their beardies out of their vivs more than we do. Maybe we need to take him out more and let him roam. He could be getting bored.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Some dragons just like to dig.
You may want to change out your sand tho. If your dragons ingests to much they can get impacted.

Chomper1218

My friends beardie used to dig into the mulch she had in her viv. After seeing her beardie with a small piece stuck to her mouth she changed the substrate to paper towels and she will still crawl underneath the paper towels! I found that very funny :D :D . Bearded dragons by nature are a semi burrowing species.

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
yea good chance he is bored.....if you look under it bum slit...you will see ONE lump or Two....while it is lieing down just lift the tail and look under like that the bumps will be best shown.....

make sure he comes out AFTER HE POOPS.....if you are watching tv or however you relax just take that time and relax with you BD 30 mins to an hr should be good...i take them out when ever i can.....keep an eye out for em though....mine jump/falls of the couch sometimes....usually they dont get hurt but its possible...

i also let them both interact with other aninmals because for some starnge reason this site says not the introduce them to each other...so my 2 cats and 1 of my 2 dogs can hang out with my BD (the other dog is a kerren terrier and she can only snip under my STRICT supervision because i asume she will eat it....my 80lb chocolate lap loves both my dragons....and if iam holding a BD the cats come on my lap and snuggle with me and the BD.

sorry i dont proofread lol...

dont let it bother you too much if you cant spend till....he wont get hurt trying top jump out....mine got out the other day.....he didnt leave the top of his viv. he just wanted to see my girl BD....they are beside each other but i have a towel bocking him from seeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom