my beardie is not eating his veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltail

hi all. my beardie hasn't been his veggies since i brought him home. about 2 weeks now. he is eating crickets,supers and meal worms just fine..should i be concerned or is he still adjusting to his new home? thanks for any advice any one can give.
lex009.jpg
lex002.jpg

Fogles

Juvie Member
You can always try the worms in the veggies trick. Put a few worms in his veggies and make sure he see's them.

Codeman

What kinds have you tried?

They are intrigued by brightly colored foods, so maybe try shredded carrots or some kind of fruit to get him started.

talltail

Original Poster
i've tried kale carrots strawberry peas and broccolli. i've tried the worms in the veggies and nothing. he ate the worms though.should i try plumping him up with more feeders? i'll keep trying new veggies and putting the worms in them.

talltail

Original Poster
here's pics of my viv. how do i get a hold of tracy. thanks for all your help!
CIMG3362.jpg
i'm still doing work to it. all his temps are good as well.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
OHHH compact UVB bulb is a big no no. They do more bad than good. They cause major eye problems and should be banned. Take it out. You need to buy Reptisun 10.0 the long bulb. This is the top brand and has the best UVB. If you go on petmountain.com they have them for much cheaper than in pet stores

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Can you tell me how old your beardie is?How long have you had him?He is on the thin side so I do suggest upping his feeders.How many is he eating daily?If he is a Juvie which I believe he is he should be eating mass amounts of protiens daily.Anywhere from 50-100crix per day.I would also cut out the meal worms as they are of no nutritional value whatsoever.He looks a little smal for supers.Can you tell me how long he is?Supers should only be given to beardies over 16 inches in length to avoid impaction issues.Also that UVB bulb your using is going to seriously affect his health.What you need is a linear flourescent called the ReptiSUN 10.0.You could also go with an MVB bulb like the Megaray or the TRex Active heat.The MVB bulbs fit in a dome and act as both heat and UVB.They are in my opinion the best quality bulb on the market and your tank looks big enough to use one.Just be sure to stay within the distance requirements for the wattage you are using.I recommend a 100watt if your going with the MVB.Also you need a digital themometer with a probe or an infared temp gun to accurately measure temps.Do you have either one of these?This will also affect his appetite and digestion as well as possibly dehydrate him if its too hot.Are you bathing him to hydrate him?As for the veggies here is a link for you:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Dont worry about him not eating them so much eventually he will do it on his own just be sure to offer them daily.Young beardies require an 80%protien/20%veggie diet so protien is the important thing right now.As an adult this will change and he will go to 80%veggie/20%protien gradually and usually on their own.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please do take a look at the beautifuldragons site. The feeding chart is very informative. Most likely your dragon was not fed much if any greens or veggies so it is an adjustment for him.
Do you know how old he is? He looks to be a juvie possibly 5-7 or so months? How long is he?
Use mustard or collard greens. Try some small pieces of fruit such as diced apples, sliced grapes or a few small pieces of melon mixed in or around in the greens or veggies to see if he likes that maybe he will grab a bite of veggies while he is at it. Worms such as butterworms or phoenix worms can also be mixed in too in order to entice him a little bit. Those 2 worms are loaded with calcium so they are good for him.
The supers are fine as well, but cut the mealies down & only offer those a couple of times per week & limit them. They are fatty & do not have much nutritional value to them.
What brand of UVB are you using, I did not see where you mentioned that? If you do have a compact or coil light that is not a good light. As suggested, the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb is the best one.
What sized tank do you have? Overall, it is a good setup. The basking light, what type is that? You already have a ceramic based fixture light dome so you could use a mercury vapor bulb. The distance requirements are 12 inches for 100 watt mercury vapor bulbs, so you might need to adjust the distance for the basking, but it would be doable with your setup.

Tracie

talltail

Original Poster
lex is about a year old 17inches long.he eats live feeders like crazy. sorry about the coil light. i'll change it asap.i'm using an exo terra 100w bulb for day and zoo med red light for night. i use a digital thermo to check temps basking is around 105f and 85f on the cool end.his viv is 2" by 4' and 3' high.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
talltail":42147 said:
lex is about a year old 17inches long.he eats live feeders like crazy. sorry about the coil light. i'll change it asap.i'm using an exo terra 100w bulb for day and zoo med red light for night. i use a digital thermo to check temps basking is around 105f and 85f on the cool end.his viv is 2" by 4' and 3' high.
Great on changing out the coil light that will definately help.I do want to mention one thing you said you are using a red light for nightime.I dont recommend using any light a night even the red,blue bulbs emit light that will disrupt the sleep pattern.It isnt necessary to have a heat source at night unless the temps fall below 60-65F.Ok I thought he was smaller in length so the supers are fine.The tank size is great for an MVB bulb as well so you could go with one of those or the reptisun 10.0,its up to you.Does your digital have a probe on it?That temp is basking SURFACE temp correct?If so then temps are good.It would be good if you could get the cool end down under 80 though.Definately try throwing some phoenix or soft bodied worms in the veggie with him he will even if by accident get some this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom