My beardie is lazy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyFetus

I have a very lazy beardie and I'm wondering if it's alright...I mean he is LAZY. The majority of the day he lays on the basking rock. His cage, at the moment, is a bit small for him but we're trying to get the money for a new cage. He's also really fat. But he's still pretty alert. Does anyone know if he might have a problem?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
In order for us to determine if there is something wrong we need to have a bit of information about your set up.

Could you please answer the following questions?

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Holly

SexyFetus

Original Poster
Ethelia":86c38 said:
Hello there,
In order for us to determine if there is something wrong we need to have a bit of information about your set up.

Could you please answer the following questions?

How old is your dragon? Two
How long have you had your dragon? A year and two months
How long is your dragon? I'm not sure
What is the sex of your dragon? Male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 20 gal (I know, it's too small)
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Sand
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? I think it's a fluorescent tube.
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? I think it's Zilla
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? I'm not sure on the measurements, but the closest he can get is standing under it
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Yes. Not sure on what you mean by 'what kind'. I think the wattage is 70.
What are the basking temps? 90s
What is the cool side temp? 80s, I think
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? Uh...I think it's stick on, but it's a gauge.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. I feed him his vegies at the cool end near the waterbowl and I feed him mealworms in the middle of the tank.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? We offer him vegies in the morning and leave them in there, misting them so they don't get too dry. We feed him a few meal worms in the morning and night.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? We use Reptical Calcium daily on select meal worms, because he's too lazy to go after crickets. He refuses to eat the vitamin supplements.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? I don't know if you'd call them normal...he refuses to poop in his cage but always in the bath.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Yes. Once a week
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Yes. The cage gets misted daily and he always has a bowl of fresh water
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No

Holly

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It's good you have a tube uvb, but the kind you have is junk. I suggest going to http://www.petmountain.com and getting the reptisun 10 in the same length of the zilla bulb you have now. They run about $20. I got 2 reptisun 10 - 18 inchers for the same price you pay in the petstores, this is including shipping.

I also, suggest you go to Walmart and get the accurite digital thermometer with probe. Your temps could be really off as you have a stick on and they only measure the ambient temps which can make the basking spot off by as much as 20 degrees. I have 2 of those thermometers and I find them really helpful in determing when we should raise the bulb in Zoom zoom's 20 gallon tank because it tells me when the temps get over 110.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom