My Beardie is in desperate need of a bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critter

Hatchling Member
Hi guys, up until recently my Beardie has been in a tank that was half wood chips and half paper towel. I saw him eat one of the woodchips though which made me very nervous so I decided to speed up the tank renovation and remove all the wood chips.

There are now no wood chips left and the substrate is made up of tiles and paper towel and a few rocks. The only problem is when there were wood chips in there he used to dig into the wood chips until he made a little hole in the ground and then sleep in them under a little reptile hut type thing. Without the woodchips now he seems to just have nowhere to sleep. I came home tonight to find him just sort laying next to his log, with his body half on paper towel and half on the glass underneath. I really need to find him a proper place to sleep.

My main problem is I think he likes to dig in things before he sleeps like the wood chips. But if he does that now with the paper towel then he just moves it away and ends up sleeping on plain glass. Does anyone have any ideas of how I should make a new bed for him?

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Hmmm, not sure if this will work with your but it worked with Digger (he will be 8 years old on the 16th this month). Way back when he used to have sand and would dig...well somehow he got parasites and hookworms from the sand, so I got rid of that and use an old bath towel in his enclosure and he sleeps at night in a cat carrier (long story). The cat carrier has on the bottom an old crochet placemat wrapped in a t-shirt, then on top in the corner is an old handtowel that is wrapped up in a triangle, he goes in there and does the digging noises then wiggle and I cover him up with another little towel and he loves it. Maybe if you have an old bathtowel you can kinda crumple together and let him sig himself a little snuggle spot it may work?

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I have a bunch of home made felt blankets (small) that mine burrow in. Keeps them warm, and boy do they look cute with their little head poking out!!!

LittleRepieye

Hatchling Member
I also have tiles, but found a very easy bed idea and my guy loves it, I just use a hand towel in the corner of the tank, he can move it and snug into it anyway he wants

randompics025.jpg

I have a more fluffy towel for him now to cuddle in.

also another thing that worked is I got one of those tortoise logs then I put reptile carpet, and another towel over it for comfort, he will sleep there all day :)

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
LittleRepieye":390k9zbu said:
I also have tiles, but found a very easy bed idea and my guy loves it, I just use a hand towel in the corner of the tank, he can move it and snug into it anyway he wants

randompics025.jpg

I have a more fluffy towel for him now to cuddle in.

also another thing that worked is I got one of those tortoise logs then I put reptile carpet, and another towel over it for comfort, he will sleep there all day :)

Oh thats such a cute pic!

Critter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I got a nice soft facewasher for him and last night when I got home I found him once again just alseep on the glass! :angry5:
So I picked him up and put him on the facewasher and then he just went to sleep on it. I think I might have to keep putting him on it until he gets used to it. I don't like seeing him sleeping on just glass!

Critter":20u0lh85 said:
Hi guys, up until recently my Beardie has been in a tank that was half wood chips and half paper towel. I saw him eat one of the woodchips though which made me very nervous so I decided to speed up the tank renovation and remove all the wood chips.

There are now no wood chips left and the substrate is made up of tiles and paper towel and a few rocks. The only problem is when there were wood chips in there he used to dig into the wood chips until he made a little hole in the ground and then sleep in them under a little reptile hut type thing. Without the woodchips now he seems to just have nowhere to sleep. I came home tonight to find him just sort laying next to his log, with his body half on paper towel and half on the glass underneath. I really need to find him a proper place to sleep.

My main problem is I think he likes to dig in things before he sleeps like the wood chips. But if he does that now with the paper towel then he just moves it away and ends up sleeping on plain glass. Does anyone have any ideas of how I should make a new bed for him?
BOTH OF MINE SLEEP UNDER THE "WOOD CHIPS".... We use the coco soft bedding... either online or from the pet store. no sand or shell impaction and.........THEY LOVE TO BURY AND SLEEP IN IT... We just took our two to the vet (260.00 for both) to get their first checkups.. he said that was the best substrate for them...We have tried many in the short time we have ours and they seem to like this best also!! neither of them have tried to "eat it" but we also hand feed them the live food or feed it to them while out of their cage. You can't put mealworms or crickets in there because they will bury themselves and the beardies will ingest the substrate ( if small enough ) along with the food. Wonderful bedding for "beardie comfy" but not for convience for sure!

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
It's still not a good idea to use any sort of lose substrate b/c whether u see them eating it or not they will still lick and taste everything.. And every time they lick they ingest a small amount.. I just wouldn't take the chance.. I have slate tile in my enclosure and a blanket under Scarletts hide and she sleeps their every night..

Critter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think that Pringle is now learning to sleep on the facewasher. Last night after a bit of moving around I found him on the facewasher and sort of in his hut. As he has grown out of his hut it was on his head and two front arms that were in there but hell, at least he tried haha.

I've been finding that Dopey does the same thing. He will go crazy for the comforter on my bed. Burrow in a fold and then sleep there for hours! But i've tried putting a handkerchief in there for him to cuddle in and he showed no interest, and also a fluffy washcloth and nothing. I thought maybe they weren't soft enough but maybe i just need to keep putting him on it? He doesn't dig like you all are talking about. Not even when we had sand when we first got him.

MarleyMoe

Hatchling Member
Our two must be nuts then in comparison... Moe drapes himself over his log or underneath it, and Marley usually head ups to the top of her wall and rests on top of her plants... gawd only knows how she doesn't fall off when shes asleep :lol:

Critter

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, so I was hoping that Pringle would sleep ON the facewasher but he had other ideas. I found him thismorning like this.

wtcewy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom