My Beardie is Hiccuping & Wheezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is "hiccuping" and you can hear him "rumble" when he inhales. I am not sure what to do... He also is shedding around his head and I pulled off the shed around his nostril and some dried yellow stuff came out of his nose with the shed... When he "hiccups" there is no mucus or anything....
I have read that hiccups are a fairly common thing with beardies but this has been going on for about a week and a half now. :(

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Hmm.... I have heard things about shed becoming stuck in the nostrils and causing strange sounds when they breathe. Is the shed all done? I'd suggest giving him daily baths.

It also sounds a lot like an RI; if it keeps going on much longer, you should probably take him to the vet for a checkup.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
i agree with herpfreak.

if he is still shedding around his head, mouth and nose then this could simply be the problem, when my Mischief last shed, his nostrils were the absolute last thing to shed and he was wheezy, it worried me but i know my temps are spot on so just kept an eye on him, for over a week after his nostrils were all shed did he stop the wheezing type sounds, it can be very concerning though.

if the shedding is all done then it could be an RI with all the hiccuping, popping and wheezing, they wont always necessarily have any mucous in or around their noses and mouths though so id say a vet visit may in order now if thats the case.
keep us posted!

ripcord182

Original Poster
Thank you very much! Thor just shed his other nostril and seems to be making less noise. When he is eating live food you can hear his stomach growl or something of that nature. I am going to give him another day and a half... If he doesn't improve he will be taking a ride with me...

ripcord182

Original Poster
I took him to the vet today and they prescribed an anti-biotic for an upper RI. He will be on the anti-biotic for 10 days and then hopefully be better. :blob5:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad you went in. RIs are much easier to treat early on. Good luck with the meds, though, I hear it isn't the easiest thing in the world, feeding medicine to a dragon...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are your temps in the tank? I would suggest that you keep her a little warmer at night to help her immune system right now since she has a respiratory infection. What is the humidity in the tank?
Are you giving probiotics as well, while she is on the Baytril?

Tracie

ripcord182

Original Poster
The temps are 78-105 and the humidity levels are around 31% What do you mean by pro biotics? Any suggestions for keeping the cage warmer at night besides blasting the heat in my house?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Probiotics are helpful in restoring the gut flora in the GI tract during medication rounds. Try finding some soy yogurt (dairy free) or some acidophiliz. You can get some acidophiliz online from:
http://www.reptilesupply.com
You should be able to find soy yogurt at walmart, or maybe a health food store, as well.
If you need any nighttime heating, you can use a ceramic heat emitter or a heating pad. If you use a heating pad, you can lay a towel in between your dragon & the heating pad & just put it on low. That will help to keep her warm overnight.

Tracie

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh my so glad they found it early and its now being treated, your lil one should be good as new in no time now!
yep probiotics will definitely help his lil system out whilst on the meds.
good luck and keep us posted on her progress!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom