My beardie has weird lookin white spots on him??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheechbeardie

HI me beardie (cheech) has got weird looking white spots on his lower half of his back...also i have noticed he has been gaping his mouth quite alot...he is fed twice a day locusts or small pinkeys or small meal worms and always fresh greens in his viv every day.also has calcuim dust twice a week. He is 1 year and 2months old roughly and am worryied about this sudden change can any one please help. : :cry:

Seven65

Juvie Member
A picture would probably help a lot. The locusts are good but mice are very high in fat and the bones can cause impaction, most consider them to be an un-nessesary risk. Meal worms are also high in fat low in nutrition and the hard shells can cause impaction.

It sounds like you probably got some bad information at some point, fill this out and we can help.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

cheechbeardie

Original Poster
Here is more Info for yous

How old is your dragon? 1 year 2 months

How long have you had your dragon? 1 year 2 months

How long is your dragon? 15 inches head to tail

What is the sex of your dragon? male

What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 4ft by 4ft viv

What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? nothing as he eats it

Do you use UVB lights? yes

If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? fluoescent tube

What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? reptiglow 10.0

How old is your UVB bulb? 2 montths

How close can your dragon get to the UVB? about 5-6 inches away

Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? yes 100w reflector

What are the basking temps?110f

What is the cool side temp?90-95f

Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? temp gun

Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? in front of his basking pot

Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no

What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. mostly locusts as i said small imean small pinkeys ocasianally...also the meal worms are small and soft never hard and only gets them bout 1once per week

How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? fresh greens are there from
him all day about 7-10 locusts in morning then 3-5 at night (same time every day)

Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes

Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? yes reptidust twice per week gut loaded locusts.

Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes every day as normal

Do you bath your dragon? How often? I bath himevery 2nd day as when he poops it gets on his tail lol.

Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? yes usualy at night if hes not been bathed (he can drink water by him self from his water dish)

Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no

Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? yes about 3 months ago got all clear

Also thought you would like to know he is eating..pooping..sleepin..is still very active and eats his greens.

also i have 2 water dragons 1 lepard geko. 1 chamelion 1 corn snake and 2 turtles I have has meny of reptiles and this has never happened i have owned beardies for years and never seen this happen i just lost my beardie of 13 years last year hence the new baby...Hope you can help

Lennifer

Juvie Member
U don't have any kinds of substrate at all? So he is just sitiing on the glass? I would suggest Repti Carpet or slate tiles if u are worried about him eatting his substrate. If u could provide a pic, that would be great! U said u are using the RpetiGlo 10 UVB light? The only ReptiGlo that is recomended to use is the ReptiGlo 8 as the other ReptiGlo's cause issues & do not allow enough &/or proper UVB wave lengths. An even better UVB light would be The ReptiSun 10! It gives off the best amount of UVB. You said that the cool side of the tank is @ 90-95 degrees? This si too warm for the cool side & since your beardie is over a year, his basking spot temps should be around 95. U also said that his basking spot is @ 110? That seems a bit high for an older dragon. Normally the younger dragons should have a higher basking spot of between 100-110. Please provide pics of your set up when u have a moment & also pics of his spots so that we may be able to help identify any other issues.

~Sandy

cheechbeardie

Original Poster
No hes not sitting on glass lol its a wooden viv...i have tryed repti carpet but he eats it as for repti tile i dont know what that is? I hav atually got a spare reptiglow 8 thats not been used so i have put that in for him and have changed the spotlamp to a lower wattage hot end is now around 90f and cool end has dropped to 70-75f is that a good heat?....and too be honest now that i have done this he seems to be turning a dark colour and has been that way all day is this normal...p.s how to i add pics to this?? thanks

Lennifer

Juvie Member
He eats the ReptiCarpet?! lol! U can get the slate tiles from Home Depot or Lowes if u like. I like the tiles because they are really easy to clean, they can't be digested & they keep the nails nice & trim! Hey, that's great that u changed the UVB to the ReptiGlo 8 instead of the ReptiGlo 10! You lowered his temps & now he seems darker? Hmm, it's possible that maybe he enjoys it being a bit hotter? It is recomended to have higher basking temps for babies/juvies & usually a bit lower for older dragons. What is the basking spot temp @ since u changed the wattage? To post pics, u can register for free @ photobucket. Upload your pics to photobucket & then copy the image code. Then paste the image code into your msg/post here in the forum. Then u can preview the post to make sure it posted correctly beofre u submit it. I'm sure there may be another way to post but this is the only way I know. It sounds harder or more dificult then it really is! lol! I would love to see pics of your set up when u have a moment. Thanks :)

~Sandy

cheechbeardie

Original Poster
Took him to the vet today for a check up he has skin retention...apparently its skin that has not come off from his last shed and that it can restrict the blood flow lol or so the vet tells me a
...he said a warm bath and to gently rub the skin away..so i done just that and some of the bits have went away lol has anyone every heard of this before??... I will post a few pics of the set up and him anyway...I am going to get those tiles at the weekend for the little guy....Now that i have changed the bulb the basking spot is arounf 90f and cool spot has dropped to arounf 75f....He is not gaping his mouth as much but he is much darker looking more green than the usual sandy colour is this just with the heat change? I will be posting the pics soon!!!

I had the same problem on the upper part of the tail and lower back of my bd. That was 1 and 1/2 years ago. After a few weeks
of baths and rubbing it shedd. Ever since, the color in those areas is different than the rest of his body. He has shedd twice since and still retains skin in those areas. I have to help those areas along each shedd. I have no clue why. I got him from my vet when he was 6 months and she does not know why it happens.

Cheryl and Eragon

Seven65

Juvie Member
Yeah, from what I've heard it's fairly common. A way to help prevent that is to bathe him more often when he's shedding and get yourself a very soft toothbrush, like a baby toothbrush, and when he's shedding, gently rub him with it during his baths.

As for the darkening, it's just his way of showing that he's cool, he probably liked the higher temp. For a younger dragon your basking temp should be between 105° and 110°f.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is true that beardies turn darker when trying to absorb more heat. You said you had a 100 watt bulb before, what wattage are you using now, is it a 60 or 75 watt? Is it a flood light or a regular basking bulb? Your basking spot and cool side could both be a little warmer. You could try putting a 25 watt household bulb on the cool side and that should make it warmer there and help raise the basking temp a little too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom