My beardie EATS! Then goes back to sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I know she's going into brumation.Her basking spot is a hide with a old T shirt in there she sleeps under there when the lights are on. She comes out I feed her about 5-10 wood cockroaches and have greens in the tank as well. After she eats the insects not long after she eats her greens then goes back into her hide! I'm worried because she's probably not getting enough heat for her to digest food properly. And now her pooing has become less frequent. I bathe her every other day. What should I do? And when she's sleeping she's bright and content but when she's out the has a really dark belly. I was worried at one point and took her to the vet and she hadn't pooped in 3 days once she did she went a good colour and white belly.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
How old is the dragon?
They will not likely begin brumation until they're over a year old. Some do right away, others years later, or some never.

Also, they darken when out in the heat because dark colors absorb light better, so they naturally do this to soak up better waves. When not under the lights, or asleep, the have no reason to darken. Not pooing for 3 days is not a big concern, some can go about a week, or weeks, depending on how they eat. As they get older it becomes less frequent. My 2-3 poops a day baby now takes one every 2-3 days and is just 7 1/2 months old.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[Moved here from General Discussion forum]

Please let us know how old your beardie is as that does make a difference in our responses.

What are your basking surface and cool side temps and what type of thermometer are you using?

Important that you get this figured out because as you know, not digesting after eating can make them very sick as well as causing an impaction. Also not getting UVB penetration affects their total health.

Have you had a fecal checked for parasites?

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Thanks that reassuring :) She's just over a year old. I've only had her for a couple of months so I'm new to all this. Her basking temp is 37-42 depending how cold it is inside and the cool side is about 24 but I just put in a cool side lamp to kick it up a couple of degrees. She's still good:) just napping a lot.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using? Some are quite inaccurate.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Arniebeardie94":fwhxv62y said:
Thanks that reassuring :) She's just over a year old. I've only had her for a couple of months so I'm new to all this. Her basking temp is 37-42 depending <<< 37 degC is a tad cool for a basking spot temp, another 3 degC would be helpful.

how cold it is inside and the cool side is about 24 but I just put in a cool side lamp to kick it up a couple of degrees. <<<< a 24 degC cool zone temp during the day is a bit cool , again if you bumped it up by 3 - 4 degC it will help her.

She's still good:) just napping a lot.
Are you perhaps in the southern hemisphere where it's moving into winter soon ?
..... this may be a slow down that's seasonally and weather cued , even if they don't go into brumation over winter , they do tend to be a bit "lazier" in the cold months.

Mysty

Juvie Member
As a heads up, that frequency of poop is OK for that age dragon. Subs and adults may not go every day.

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Yes I'm in Australia. The thermometer is a digital probe one. I've heard it's normal for them to poop less frequently but she used to go every day. Now it's been 3 days and still none and she's sleeping more and more but I keep feeding her once a day because she's still active when she's awake and she loves it. But I think once she poops I'm not gonna feed her and see if she will just start sleeping consistently? Is that a good idea.

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
And once I put it the cool side globe the cool side hits about 27 and the warm side is at 31 and the basking spot is 43 Is that good I feel that's too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom