My beardie died tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got her in November and she was fine until about a week ago. She started dragging herself and her back legs seemed weak. I took her to a herp vet immediately and he did an X-ray and said her bones were very thin from lack of calcium and she also was impacted from feces likely due to her low calcium levels. The vet said he could also feel some eggs so we need to keep an eye on her for that since she may have trouble passing them. He did a fecal test and found no parasites. He did an enema to clear the impaction and prescribed her liquid calcium. He also told us to feed her baby food until she got her strength back. The vet felt she may have been used as a breeder and not well taken care of before we got her.

She was housed in a 40 gallon tank, had a mat for substrate, 105-110 in basking spot, 85 on the cool side with a power sun uvb light. I fed her collard greens and gut loaded dubia nymphs which were always smaller than the space between her eyes. I dusted her food with calcium daily and gave her Herptivite a couple of times per week. I also gave her a warm bath a couple of times per week.

I just don't understand what happened. She was never really all that active, but she would always jump down from her log and run across the cage whenever I would put in the dubias. And suddenly she just went downhill very fast. Today she seemed to be breathing fine, but just barely opened her eyes to look at me. She was almost completely limp. I placed her on top of her log so she could stay warm and when I checked on her a few hours later, she had passed. My kids are going to be devastated tomorrow. They had been sitting by her cage talking to her and had colored get well pictures for her. I don't know if the pet store (one who has a good rating) just sold us an older one and she was at the end of her life or what went wrong??

R.I.P. Kiwi, we will miss you sweet girl even though we only knew you for a short time.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
I teared up when I read that your sweet children colored get well pictures for Kiwi! :cry: How sweet and special that she was loved that much. I'm so sorry to hear that she passed away. I know how upset I was when my boy Puffy passed away. They are amazing pets.

You did nothing wrong and everything right. Sometimes we do all we can but what we can do isn't quite good enough.

Rest in peace sweet Kiwi. You had a wonderful family taking care of you!

laxplayer4

Original Poster
I talked to the vet today and he said the pet shop we bought Kiwi from used to be good, but has had a lot of problems the past few years...poor nutrition and lighting, over breeding etc. He said he planned to call them today to let them know how badly they had treated her and that he was not recommending them to anyone. He gave me some recommendations of reputable breeders for when we decide to get another BD. Even though it is very sad and my kiddos were crying their eyes out before school, I'm glad she spent her last few months in love and comfort.

R.I.P. Kiwi

Reptiles4Life

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry for your loss what store was it from i got one from pet smart in November and she died December 18 2013. RIP KIWI.

laxplayer4

Original Poster
It wasn't Petsmart. We got her from the amphibian and reptile center in St. Louis. It seemed like a decent shop, and they have a good reputation for their snakes, but I guess they are better with snakes than lizards. Our vet said he has seen a lot of lizards in poor health that came from them.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
The big pet stores make me so mad!!!!!! :banghead: Ohh, that should be illegal, I am so sorry! I mean, what happened to animal rights? People have a right to get a healthy pet, especially a new guy like me! My heart bleeds for you... Don't give up. Try again!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
clearly she wasn't cared for properly.
and you didn't know that before you got her.

you did everything right, but unfortunately when they go downhill they go downhill fast.

how big was she? if she was a full adult that had gone without proper lighting and calcium there really wasn't much you could do for her.
like others stated, at least she had a good life with you.

i would definitely voice my concerns with them.

laxplayer4

Original Poster
She was an adult, the vet wasn't sure the age. His guess was that she was older and was sold after she wasn't useful to them for breeding anymore. I hate that she seems to have had such a rough life, but I am glad we were able to take care of her the past few months. I think we will wait until Spring when it warms up before buying another one. Thanks for all the kind words.

Molson

Despite being dealt a poor hand in life, she was able to have at least some time in comfort and happiness. That was a very lucky dragon to have such a loving family. I'm glad you are deciding to welcome another dragon into your life :)

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
You don't have to give a name, I know which shop you are referring to.

They used to have a great reputation, but the last couple of years have
gone downhill badly, and today I wouldn't even consider purchasing an
animal from them, lizard OR snake.

I am sorry for your loss. Be sure and visit the reptile show that occurs
every few months over at the Viking Inn, there's quite a few reputable
breeders there. Also there's an enormous reptile convention coming
into town in March.

I'm so sorry :cry: at least she had a loving family in the end who cared about her dearly. You'll make another beardie very happy one day if you decide to adopt another :D . I'm sure Kiwi appreciated everything you did for her, may she rest in peace.

Katiedud

Im so sorry for your loss!!
I recently aquired an old man beardie that had a poor upbringing(starved, bullied by his tank mate and no proper care or lighting from his human) By the time I got him, he had over two years of trying to get him back to health. So I don't expect to have him long, but all I can do is give him the best. Which is what you did for your girl. Kudos<3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom