My Beardie bit me and I don't know why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once when I fed my bearded dragon Ridley a mealworm, he got confused and bit my thumb. I thought nothing of it because he was feeding. A day later he bit me when I went to pick him up. I was frightened but still I thought nothing of it. Now he's doing it again, 2 weeks later. I just casually reached my hand in the enclosure to pick him up. He scooted away which I should've noted, but carelessly I did not. When I reached for him again, he bit me.
Please help! I don't want anyone to think I abuse my Beardie; I feed him three times a day of all his favorites (broccoli, baby bites, kale, crickets, and mealworms) during feeding he seems so happy and doesn't care that I'm in his space, but when I go to pick him up, he seems miserable! I just really want to raise a good beardie...

Other things to know:
He has a 40 gallon tank
He is around 4 months old
I've had him for two months
His thermometers ARE stick on and I do not know the accuracy...
His uv is a 13 watt "tropical" repti glo 5.0 UVB compact coil bulb (recommended by petsmart...)
Basking bulb is 50 watt "all living things" neodymium bulb
And like I said I feed him three times a day broccoli, baby bites, kale, crickets, and mealworms (not all at once...)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
His uv is a 13 watt "tropical" repti glo 5.0 UVB compact coil bulb (recommended by petsmart...)

i don't understand why they would recommend a tropical light for a desert reptile?!?!?

he needs a reptisun 10.0 tube, the number is the UVB that is put out. (i think)
i would return it and tell them off for selling you the completely wrong item.
and please find that person and repeat this to them http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

as for the biting, does it mostly happen during feeding times? are you hand feeding him? he might be assuming your fingers have food in them.
or he could be Tasty Treat's brother. she gives warning nips when we something she doesn't like. for example, pulling her away from the cord that looks like a giant worm. taking her away from the cricket cage that she is desperately trying to get in to. trying to pet her while wearing nail polish.
just to name a few.

beardieworld26

Original Poster
Yes I definitely should ask. I really didn't understand but since the person was older than me I didn't want to argue... Thank you for telling me what bulb to get, I really appreciate it! As for feeding, I'm not sure, maybe he is confuse? I'll just have to watch and make sure I don't give off mixed symbols
(by the way, your dragon sounds funny! Hehe)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
beardieworld26":1sr6uly2 said:
Yes I definitely should ask. I really didn't understand but since the person was older than me I didn't want to argue... Thank you for telling me what bulb to get, I really appreciate it! As for feeding, I'm not sure, maybe he is confuse? I'll just have to watch and make sure I don't give off mixed symbols
(by the way, your dragon sounds funny! Hehe)
every new beardie owner has been sold the wrong items. i am so glad i found this site early on. my husband came home with a heating rock b/c they said we needed one. i sent him straight back to the store, lol.

she is feisty! if my nail polish matches the color of anything she eats she goes right after my fingers. i have stopped wearing nail polish, lol!

when i see her eyeing my fingers i hold my hand out flat and flip it over to show her my palm. that usually stops her.

omg87

You can definitely tell whether or not your beardie bit you because it thought you were food or it was genuinely pissed/frightened. I've felt both - if it's frightened, it'll feel like a really hard pinch. If it's hungry, it tongues you first and then bites, but nowhere near as hard as the other.

beardieworld26

Original Poster
Oh ok thanks omg87! I'm glad you cleared it for me. Sadly my dragon was frightened and I'm upset that I scared him but I will be more careful. I have started approaching him from the side rather than the top and I pet him first too!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chirple

Hatchling Member
You need to change the UVB ASAP, get accurate thermometers - either a digital probe kind or a temp gun. :)

Also, mealworms are not good for them. A single mealworm every few days is okay - but they're like a big giant candy bar and I would not feed them altogether. Wax worms are much better "treat" worm, but still only once or twice a week.

Crickets or dubia roaches are your best bet at this age. :) You could try hornworms, but you would have to cut them up, most likely - and silk worms are a good feeder, too.

As well, a young bearded dragon should be fed 2-3 times a day, as many feeders as they can eat in 15 minutes. This can amount to 30 crickets or roaches or more. It's not uncommon to hear people quoting upwards of 60 or even 100 a day ! If the dragon hasn't been getting anywhere near this amount of food, it's possible the bites are out of desperation and trying to find something to eat.

Many of the coil bulbs can impair and damage their eyesight - I could see this leading to you being attacked more since the bearded dragon cannot see you as well and perhaps can't recognise you or learn to do so. The Repti glo in particular has been highly associated with eye issues.

If you don't have an accurate way to read temperatures, the wrong temps could be causing stress as well - and not allowing him to digest food properly.

It really sucks that the pet stores don't really know what they're selling or what is safe. I would definitely try to return these items and get your money back. :(

carlisv

Hatchling Member
In their natural habitat beardies are prey for large birds and carnivores, so they are swooped down on from above. That's why they puff up and black beard when we put them on the ground - they feel like something's going to eat them. So when you pick him up from above or behind, not only is it an unpleasant surprise, but their instinct kicks in and they try to protect themselves.

When you want to pick him up, try to make sure he sees you first, and talk to him softly so he'll know you're not going to snack on him. Can you put your hand under his tummy without him biting you? That would be the best way to pick him up. I use a wash cloth to pick Richard up, so he feels something on all four feet and his tummy at the same time - otherwise he tends to panic. Maybe you could put a wash cloth in his viv for a few days and let him get used to it, then put your hand under it and lift him.

Good luck!

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
sometimes people are afraid to put there foot down and discipline there beardies just like any other animal you have to show them bad behavior is not acceptable a tap on the snout normally gives them the good idea they did somthing wrong let her sit on your lap sometimes its just fear and they calm down

if a dog was biting you and i mean biting as in not letting go that would not go un handled beardies should be the same there bites can draw blood and do hurt

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Almost any animal can be taught submission by pain and fear, but that's not what I'd want to do to any in my care.

If a dog is seriously attacking you, there's a way bigger problem than just needing a tap on the head. But it's not fair to compare a bearded dragon to a dog with a very different mental capacity, anyway.

Almost all animals can learn by association, to some degree. Punishment is not a necessary factor in learning. I am not completely opposed to it - but it often teaches the wrong lessons.

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
i think theres a fine line between whats right and wrong with training i simply made the comparison as a training method just because a bearded dragon does not leave permanent damage does not make it okay to have them bite you

now its easier to train a dog but a tap on the head is far from animal abuse now flicking him would be over the line but a simple tap on the snout is commonly done and by no means abuse

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Chirple":2qq6oc6j said:
Almost any animal can be taught submission by pain and fear, but that's not what I'd want to do to any in my care.

If a dog is seriously attacking you, there's a way bigger problem than just needing a tap on the head. But it's not fair to compare a bearded dragon to a dog with a very different mental capacity, anyway.

Almost all animals can learn by association, to some degree. Punishment is not a necessary factor in learning. I am not completely opposed to it - but it often teaches the wrong lessons.
when training my cats i've learned that a light tap to their nose taught them when not to do something. [most] cats hate it when you touch their nose.
when Mr. Dargon puffed out at me or charged at me i would stand over him with my hands on my hips and yell at him "i'm the one who feeds you!" and i would poke his beard.
his mouth usually slowly closes as he stares up at me. he learned that i was not afraid of him.

now Tasty Treat is a fierce little one and i would not put it past her to actually bite my finger for touching her beard.

cuddling with them at bed time is a great way to bond and get them to not be afraid of you. i either wrap them up in a blankie and hold them or just keep them on my chest and cover both of us. one beardie at a time, although last night i put them both on my husband. he couldn't move. haha :p

plus they are so cute when they are sleeping!

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
bunnyrut":1vgo98zk said:
Chirple":1vgo98zk said:

when training my cats i've learned that a light tap to their nose taught them when not to do something. [most] cats hate it when you touch their nose.
when Mr. Dargon puffed out at me or charged at me i would stand over him with my hands on my hips and yell at him "i'm the one who feeds you!" and i would poke his beard.
his mouth usually slowly closes as he stares up at me. he learned that i was not afraid of him.

now Tasty Treat is a fierce little one and i would not put it past her to actually bite my finger for touching her beard.

cuddling with them at bed time is a great way to bond and get them to not be afraid of you. i either wrap them up in a blankie and hold them or just keep them on my chest and cover both of us. one beardie at a time, although last night i put them both on my husband. he couldn't move. haha :p

plus they are so cute when they are sleeping!
t.t sounds one of my females i was tickling her beard and she tounge'd my finger and bit me shes quick girl

beardieworld26

Original Poster
Sorry I have not replied in so long everyone! I really appreciate all of your help! My dragon and I are now closely knit and I love him lots! No more biting for him although he does pounce on my iPad every now and then... Hehe oh beardies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekov
Top Bottom