MY BEARDED SLEEPS ALL DAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUDIEFLY

MY BEARDED DRAGON HAS BEEN SLEEPING ALL DAY, I AM VERY WORRY I HAD HIM FOR ABOUT A WEEK. FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS ALL HE HAS DONE IS JUST SLEEP IN HIS BASKING SPOT. I HAVE A UVB AND UVA LIGHT ON HIM 12 HRS OF THE DAY . ANYONE PLEASE HELP

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Hello, what brand and type of UVB light do you have? Is it a tube or coil? Also, what are the temperatures like in his tank? Has he been eating and drinking? It'll be easier for people to help you if you tell us more about your setup.. I hope your beardie feels better soon :(

NUDIEFLY

Original Poster
HE HAS NOT EATING IN THE LAST 3 DAYS. I HAVE A REPTI 10.O COIL BULB. THE TEMPS ON THE HOT SIDE RANGE FROM 95TO 1OO DEGREES. HE IS IN A 10 GALLON TANK, I FEED HIM CRICKETS TRY TO FEED HIM MEAL WORMS BUT HE SHOW NO INTEREST IN THEM. ALSO I GIVE LUKE WARM BATHS. HE DRANK A LITTLE WATER TODAY AFTER I GAVE THE BATH .

w0554096

Juvie Member
He may not be sleeping. The coil UVB bulbs tend to cause eye issues in bearded dragons. Usually the first signs is them keeping their eyes closed for extended periods.
I'd reccomend getting a Reptisun 10.0 Tube bulb, and mounting it inside of his tank.

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Hmm.. Well first of all, he should have a reptisun 10.0 TUBE, not coil. The coil UVBs have be known to cause eye problems as well as not provide bearded dragons with the correct UVB. You should get a reptisun 10.0 TUBE as soon as possible! Most stores should carry them. I think most people would tell you to turn off the UVB coil as its more harmful than anything. If its warm out, you can take him outside for natural UVB, just make sure he has shade to hide under in case he wants to get out of the sun for a bit. And don't leave him unsupervised, obviously, lol
Also, how old is your beardie? 10 gallons is probably too small for him.. Also, he should not be fed mealworms at all, especially if he's young because it can cause impaction. Gut loaded crickets or dubia roaches would be a better choice. Is he being offered any greens?
I'm not 100% sure about the temperatures, a quick search on this forum will help you find the information you need but I believe it needs to be at least 95 degrees Fahrenheit for them to digest properly.
I'm no expert though so I really hope someone with more experience than I signs on to help soon..

w0554096

Juvie Member
Hmm.. Well first of all, he should have a reptisun 10.0 TUBE, not coil. The coil UVBs have be known to cause eye problems as well as not provide bearded dragons with the correct UVB. You should get a reptisun 10.0 TUBE as soon as possible! Most stores should carry them. I think most people would tell you to turn off the UVB coil as its more harmful than anything. If its warm out, you can take him outside for natural UVB, just make sure he has shade to hide under in case he wants to get out of the sun for a bit. And don't leave him unsupervised, obviously, lol
Also, how old is your beardie? 10 gallons is probably too small for him.. Also, he should not be fed mealworms at all, especially if he's young because it can cause impaction. Gut loaded crickets or dubia roaches would be a better choice. Is he being offered any greens?
I'm not 100% sure about the temperatures, a quick search on this forum will help you find the information you need but I believe it needs to be at least 95 degrees Fahrenheit for them to digest properly.
This is all great info. :)
For a young dragon, his temps should be 105 to 110, but 95 is the minimum for healthy digestion.
It's really advisable to upgrade his tank, and even if he's small a 10 gallon tank usually doesn't hold the proper temperature gradiant.
Phoenix worms and silkworms are also excellent staple feeders that can be purchased in appropriate sizes.
Many people feed their babies phoenix worms. They are full of calcium and nutrients, and don't need to be dusted with crickets. Dubia are also a good staple feeder, though depending where you're located, may not be possible to aquire.

What type of thermometer are you using? A digital thermometer with a wire probe or an infrared temp gun are really the only acurate thermometers available.

Your baby is most likely still suffering from some relocation stress. That doubled with the coil UVB is probably why he is not eating. I would agress that you should switch off the coil now, and aquire a ReptiSun tube asap.
If you have the receipt, you may still be able to return your coil bulb.

Baths are good. :)
Bathing him 3-4 times per week will help to keep him hydrated. Babies in particular tend to dehydrate quickly with their higher temps.

NUDIEFLY

Original Poster
Well I use a digital thermometer, I also have a 55 gallon tank but I was led to believe that this tank would be to big for him

w0554096

Juvie Member
Big tanks can sometimes intimidate small beardies, but not always. If you are nervous about that, you can just block off a section of his tank with cardboard. Most babies tend to do well with more space.
I would reccomend raising his temps a bit. You want them to be between 105-110 at his age.

MOJO27

I'm new as well but I have a 55 gallon tank and at first sectioned it off, that didn't last long
Mojo is 5 months old and loves the space! We removed the barrier 3 months ago. He prefers the hotter side but explores.

NUDIEFLY

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys, im going to put him the 55 gallon tank and change his light to the repti 10.0 tube light, to see if that will make active again

NUDIEFLY

Original Poster
I took him out today since it was very nice out, i could tell that he liked it. he even looked a little lighter after, but once i put him in his tank he just went back to sleep. also he had a couple of crickets in his tank but he didn't even attempt to eat them. He did use the bathroom this morning

NUDIEFLY

Original Poster
It looked like all the other times he poop, it was a brown green with a little white stuff on top of it

w0554096

Juvie Member
Lol, that's good. Sounds like a healthy poo. Hopefully when he gets into his bigger tank with his Reptisun he will start to perk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom