My bearded dragon will not eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 9 month old female bearded dragon, her name is Xena. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old and she was bought from a reptile shop.

When I first got her she would eat greens, crickets and waxworms (waxworms only once a week) . She had a very good appetite and never went a day without food. Around 4 months ago, she decided that she was never going to eat her greens again and never touched them for weeks. However she would still eat the crickets. I then moved away to University and she stayed at my family home where my mum took over the role of Mother to her. A week after me being away my Mum rang to say that she was refusing to eat anything. No greens or crickets... after a few days of eating nothing, I told her to get some baby food and syringe feed her to get some vitamins etc inside her. She loved it and ate a lot of the stuff. My mum and dad eventually managed to get her back on to the crickets, and the only way she would eat greens is when my mum would syringe her some baby food and my dad would throw some in to her mouth. Other than that, she wouldn't touch her veg.

I returned from University a few weeks ago, when I first got back she was still not eating her Veg and only eating crickets. A few days later she refused to eat crickets, so I bought some waxworms, which she ate no problem. I then tried her with crickets again, and she shut her eyes and moved her face away. Still not hungry for them. I changed the way I feed her, so instead of feeding her crickets in the morning, I just gave her fresh veg. She has started to eat a few pieces of veg in the morning but not enough to be a healthy dragon. I then try to feed her crickets at around 1pm and she will eat one and not eat anymore. I bought some mealworms, and she will eat them fine, along with waxworms. But I know that these are not a healthy diet as they are mainly fat and the mealworms aren't too good for digestion. I just wanted to see if she was hungry or not. Which she obviously was.

She is growing in length but I don't think that she is fat enough, she is skinny in my eyes. Her behaviour is normal. She wakes me up at 10am every morning glass dancing until I get her out and put her in bed with me, she spends around 3-4 hours out of the tank a day because she loves sitting on my windowsill looking out at everything. I do put her back every 15 minutes so she stays warm though. She sleeps fine at night, but she does sleep quite a lot in the day. But if I get her out she is very alert so it seems like she is healthy and just really lazy when she is in her Viv...

Is she just an extremely fussy eater? I need some help! My other two bearded dragons are not like this and they are the same age. I am not sure what else to do. So far I have tried;

- Reptile fruit jam which I spread on to her veggies
- Putting mealworms/waxworms in to the salad so she gets some greens in her when picking out the live food
- Butternut squash, strawberries, rocket salad, baby leaf, cucumber, blueberries etc
- Hanging the veg from different places in the tank
- Pulling it around on the floor to see if she'll chase it etc

Nothing is working. I need help!

Vivarium set up:

- 3ft x 2ft x 2ft
- Calci sand (Which is being replaced by tiles asap)
- Two logs
- Two rocks
- Food and water dish
- Silk and plastic plants
- Hide which is placed upright in the corner, she sleeps behind it and climbs on top of it
- Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10. UVB coil bulb (Which is being replaced by a tube asap)
- Exo Terra 60W White basking bulb
- Two vents

Her crickets are dusted with calci powder once a day and her veg is dusted with calci power three times a week. She is also bathed once a week and when shedding every 3 days. (She LOVES to go underwater and swim around for ages, which is something I never knew beardies like, my other two don't like going underwater)

Her substrate was originally calcium sand, which I then took out due to finding out about impactation and she was only young, she was using the wooden flooring of the viv for a week and she was sliding around everywhere. I replaced the wooden flooring with calci sand again a week ago, as she is older and doesn't tend to lick everything anymore. I am carefully watching her and check her intestines for impactation every day to make sure, she is fine. But the sand is going as soon as I get hold of some tiles to replace it.

The coil UVB bulb is also going as I have recently found out that they can cause damage to the beardies eyes and other health issues. I am replacing this with a tube bulb instead.

If anybody has any answers then please let me know, I am running out of ideas to make her eat her veggies.

Front set up:

DSC01048.jpg

Left side:

DSC01046.jpg

Right side:

DSC01047.jpg

Pictures of Xena:

1. Baby food stained chin
DSC00593.jpg

2. Baby food on her nose
DSC00288.jpg

3. Sitting on the window sill
DSC00231.jpg

4. Length of her
DSC00224.jpg

5. Close up
DSC00221.jpg

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Aww!! She is adorable!!! My girl did the same thing at about that age. Variety!!! Dubia roaches, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, butterworms...all can be found online. Premium Crickets, Great Lakes Hornworms, there are alot of places and some people are listed in the For Sale section of this forum. As far as the veggies go,,,good luck! I am lucky enough to be able to stay home so I have the time to hand feed my girl, Puff, everyday. Tear off bites, put them between her lips, gently push, and then she gobbles it up, until she doesn't want anymore, then she just spits them out..Thats all the help I can give you,,but truly,,variety with the insects.
Good luck,
Kelly
Oh yea, please turn off the coil uvb light, it can cause damage and health issues, better to turn it off till you get the Reptisun 10.0 or the Arcadia d3 12%!

ILoveMyBeardies2012

Original Poster
kcarello":3e89wnih said:
I am lucky enough to be able to stay home so I have the time to hand feed my girl, Puff, everyday. Tear off bites, put them between her lips, gently push, and then she gobbles it up, until she doesn't want anymore, then she just spits them out..

Yeah I have tried this as well, but thank you for the advice about the variety of live food. I will try her with some others and see how that goes! And I will turn off the UVB, thanks for the help!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
If you order hornworms..maybe you could email them or call them and let them know that she has never had them and maybe they could send you a few different sizes. Be careful ordering them all large.....the are LARGE!!!!! Puff loves them, they are a little more expensive, but they don't eat near as many of them as they do crickets.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, some are even better than crickets, nutritionaly. Lots of people feed the dubia roaches. I would try those first if I were you. Look in the for sale section of this forum and you will find some for sale...

IzzyTony

Hatchling Member
is that a coil bulb for UV? I know they are generally frowned upon, as they cause health issues and lethargy.

I've had izzy 18months or so now, and he seems to go through phases of eating loads then not much and some days not at all. Try to give yours some fun/explore time out of the tank and make sure he/she can get close enough to the UV to get the benefits it is intended for :)

I'm still learning, and its a huge learning curve. I'm constantly learning and modifying my set up. I went off what the pet shop told me at first (as im sure many of us have at the start) and found that 99% of it was useless and some of the info was outright dangerous :/

Rule of thumb from what ive learned so far is, Your BD needs to be able to get within 6-10inches of the UV light source to get a real "dose".

Hope some of this helps

Tony

And remember, Variety is the spice of life:D we don't like the same thing every day I'm sure they are the same :D

ILoveMyBeardies2012

Original Poster
Yes it is, I did state in my question that it would be changed as soon as I can afford the tube UVB. I also said that she is out of her tank for 3-4 hours a day, she runs around my entire bedroom and climbs on to the windowsill etc. She gets a lot of adventure time!

I am going to the shop today to try her with different veggies, again. I am running out of veg to buy. But we'll see how it goes!

ILoveMyBeardies2012

Original Poster
Well, yesterday she decided that she was going to eat some of the baby leaf that I put in her viv. She didn't eat all of it but quite a bit. I think that she is just extremely fussy as now she is scoffing down crickets again no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom