My bearded dragon not pooping for over 2-3 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearilow

Hi everyone,

A little background story. I recently saved a bearded dragon from a friend who didn't care about her anymore. Being myself I just really love animals and I wanted to save her. This is my first time owning one so I don't really know much. I've had her for about 6 months. At first she was malnourished, pretty skinny and now she has gotten chubby. I think she is about 3-4 years old from what my friend said. I've tried feeding her different kinds of veggies but she would only eat romaine hearts. Tried giving her peeled cucumber, carrots, turnip greens, kale, etc. but she wouldn't eat it. She likes eating insects though like crickets, mealworms, and dubia roaches. So the only thing I could get her to eat are those insects and romaine hearts. My friend only fed her romaine hearts throughout her life, which is really sad.

Anyway I've researched online and so far I bought her extra virgin olive oil, 100% prune juice, and applesauce to help her poop. I'm trying to get her to eat the applesauce but she doesn't want to eat it. Tried bathing her in warm water as well. She doesn't like water. I don't think my friend bathes her much because I've researched online and it seems like most beardies are okay with water. I've managed to bathe her today as she laid on my hands. Every time she bathes I have to hold her as she rests on my hands. For her lighting I have 250watts for night time and 150watts I use during the day.

Please help, during these months I've spent with her I grew a strong bond with my beardie. Any help is appreciated. I'm planning to bring her to the vet if nothing works.

Here is a photo of her: https://pix.sfly.com/UtFK7J

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, she's a nice + healthy looking girl, you've done a good job with her. :) Her not pooing for 2-3 weeks is not unusual for an adult, esp. in the cooler months. You would very rarely need a vet, beardies always end up going right when you think nothing has worked. Some other things you can try is canned pumpkin with no spices or baby food squash. Offer oral hydration , drip water on her snout....drip, stop, repeat. This usually gets them to drink more . [ but not always ] Give a warmer than usual bath and encourage her to swim a bit. After a few days she will go. But don't worry, many dragons, including mine go through the very same thing, she'll be O.K. :)

Oh, and is that a typo that you have a 250 watts at night and 150 during the day ? 250 would be too hot for day or night, if your house temp. doesn;t drop below 67 at night you don;t need any heat. If it DOES go below 67 you can use a ceramic heat emitter that produces heat but no light. Night lights disturb their sleep. Can you post a pic showing the bulb placement and your tank ?

Good to here I'm not the only one. I thought I was going mad too
Mine is doing the same thing.
I bathe mine about about every two days and all is fine.
She is shedding as well.
I agree that a vet is not needed but I doesnt stop me worrying.
I rescued mine about two years ago and she's doing fine.
Keep going and just accept they are cranky and do try to rule you sometimes. I've had aggression issues that have now gone away and mine won't eat veg at all.
Try to feel if the abdomen is soft and no real hard lumps. I can feel the poo in her intestines near her anus so she's locked and loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom