My bearded dragon’s eye is slightly cloudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
This morning I noticed my bearded dragons left eye looks cloudy. I attached a photo of its current state. I feel like it may be an injury as if you look closely there’s a shape to the cloudiness.

He’s almost 5 now, his tank is 40 gallons, UVB is Repti-Sun 10.0, 100w UVA, and his appetite still seems normal. He also just pooped today and his stool looks normal. Saw other discussions about applying sterile saline without preservatives on the eye, or is this is cause to take him to the vets? I would appreciate any suggestions

Attachments

• 918F8AD8-A9DB-4571-A48D-6E65C3C16638.jpeg
    918F8AD8-A9DB-4571-A48D-6E65C3C16638.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 270

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell me if this a coil or a tube ? Where in the tank is the UVB?

emobeardie

Original Poster
Here’s a better look at it

Attachments

• 5C139FC3-94C5-412E-A0E4-99D7FAC63CA1.jpeg
    5C139FC3-94C5-412E-A0E4-99D7FAC63CA1.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 88

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its tube, and sitting right on top of the screen of his tank
Is it a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 --- these UVB's have certain distances and placement depending on the screen --- we have had cloudy eyes on here before most caused by improper UVB and basking bulbs and substrate - thats why all the questions --

emobeardie

Original Poster
Is it a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 --- these UVB's have certain distances and placement depending on the screen --- we have had cloudy eyes on here before most caused by improper UVB and basking bulbs and substrate - thats why all the questions --
I believe it’s T8

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I believe it’s T8
Ok so please check --- how old is the T 8? If its a T 8 please move the T 8 so its NO cover on the fixture it self NO screen between the bulb and the basking decor -- it needs to be either in the tank or take your screen off distance directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches --- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays --- also it needs to be not more than 6 months old or older - I recommend changing them out at 5 months -- watch and see if the eye starts to clear up --- basking bulb needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb example a Exo Terra Intense or a Zoo Med Repti basking - any solid bright white bulb that keeps your temps -- NO daytime bulbs they have a neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking
instead.
Substrate your using is ??? NO loose substrate please
If any of these need changing please so then watch what his eye does

emobeardie

Original Poster
Ok so please check --- how old is the T 8? If its a T 8 please move the T 8 so its NO cover on the fixture it self NO screen between the bulb and the basking decor -- it needs to be either in the tank or take your screen off distance directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches --- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays --- also it needs to be not more than 6 months old or older - I recommend changing them out at 5 months -- watch and see if the eye starts to clear up --- basking bulb needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb example a Exo Terra Intense or a Zoo Med Repti basking - any solid bright white bulb that keeps your temps -- NO daytime bulbs they have a neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking
instead.
Substrate your using is ??? NO loose substrate please
If any of these need changing please so then watch what his eye does
Got it, I believe the UVB may need to be changed, i’ll go ahead and change it. Should i still go ahead and put saline on his eye just in case ? He’s closing his eye like hes showing discomfort.
His substrate isn’t loose, he has tile flooring

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Got it, I believe the UVB may need to be changed, i’ll go ahead and change it. Should i still go ahead and put saline on his eye just in case ? He’s closing his eye like hes showing discomfort.
His substrate isn’t loose, he has tile flooring
Ok so you can use the saline for him and we have now ruled out the substrate -- what about the basking bulb? what are you using ?

emobeardie

Original Poster
It’s been a few weeks since I noticed my beardie’s eye is cloudy and it’s only gotten worse ): i changed his uvb but there was no improvement. I took him to the vets and they say it looks like some kind of cataract, but they would send some antibiotics in case its an infection. Looked at his eye today and it’s definitely clouded a lot more. I keep trying to research any other dragons that have had the same issue, but i can’t find anything. It noticed the pupil is a little disfigured too. It makes me sad knowing he probably can’t see from that eye, and im feeling a lot of guilt
683D6484-B9B4-4E61-87BC-7CAD28D26DD4.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s been a few weeks since I noticed my beardie’s eye is cloudy and it’s only gotten worse ): i changed his uvb but there was no improvement. I took him to the vets and they say it looks like some kind of cataract, but they would send some antibiotics in case its an infection. Looked at his eye today and it’s definitely clouded a lot more. I keep trying to research any other dragons that have had the same issue, but i can’t find anything. It noticed the pupil is a little disfigured too. It makes me sad knowing he probably can’t see from that eye, and im feeling a lot of guilt
View attachment 69909
@Drache613
What bulb did you get for the uvb? Where did you place it? Top of screen or inside the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom