My BD is the coolest!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well some of you know I am new to the forum and was having problems with my baby BD eating. I have had him for 6 days now and he is so awesome. He was shy, not eating and all that stuff. Now he sees me coming and starts freaking out like a puppy and I will start feeding him crix and he will run tackle them. It is too funny. But this morning I was reading about feeding them by hand so I got a cricket and handed it to him and he gently took it and gobbled it up. He he hates to soak though and tries to climb out. What should I do about that?
Andrew

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
That is great that you are having so much fun with your new beardie. They can be quite entertaining, that's for sure !!

Just be persistent with the bath's...he'll eventually get used to it. It's just something new to him right now. I have heard some owners say their bd's don't like bath's. Hopefully if you keep it routine he'll learn to enjoy bath time.

Good luck,

Dawn

MyLittleFoot

Hatchling Member
for the bathing part, I put my hand in the water beside her and she puts her front feet on my hand and she has started enjoying her baths since I've done this.
Some people add rocks or something similar for them to hang on to.

Mealworms are hard for beardies to digest, Phoenix worms are what I use and as a treat I use wax worms

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Wow. I'm sure your bd is pretty cool, but I thought mine was the coolest! I suppose everyone on this site thinks that about their own...

Tigg

Juvie Member
I just started feeding my juvenile BD small meal worms and he loves them! My little guy doesnt really eat as many crickets as I think he should at night (usually 3-4 1/4" crickets) so I usually throw a small handful of mealies into a dish for him to graze on while I am at work and had no problems. I agree they are a little harder to digest than silks, but as long as your temps are right for digestion and your BD is well hydrated you shouldn't have any problems at all!

As for the baths, I usually drap a large towel over the ledge of the tub just above the water line. Seems like he has learned that he is able to get out when he wants to and the stress has faded away. Most times he will climb up the towel, chill on the ledge then climb back down and swim again.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
We had a problem with Chimera and mealworms they dont digest well in the stomach due to the hard shell they have, i wouldnt recomend them as a staple food.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Some of them love to swim, the blow up and look like a gator when they do it. My daughters beardie doesn't like the bath so I use a clear glass baking pan and put very warm 95º F water in it so she doesn't notice when I put her back end in it. I keep her front and head on my hand and gradually ease it out. The only problem is that it cools quickly and she wants to get out.

starlake

What do you use for the main tub? Just a dishtub? sink? Does the towel need to be at a particular angle? I ask because if I just experiment and Pogona physically can't use the facilities, she tends to get bad associations and react negatively to anything similar. She just doesn't need the stress, but she does need a good soaking, I think. Her hide is looking really dry and I haven't seen her in her tub lately.

95 degrees F seems really hot. Anyone use different temps?

Heather

ronni1221

Juvie Member
I use a big tupperware bowl, granted he's small enough right now to fit in it. Brutus doesn't like baths either, but he deals with it. I just hold my hand around him, pinning his arms down a little within my palm. He weasels his way out of the grip, but after a few near-escapes, realizing he won't avoid this, he settles down and I splash the water over his back with my other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom