My BD is loosing control of his hind legs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, My beardie is about 7 or 8 years old, he is about 16 inches but is missing about a third of his tail (He was like that since I found him 6 years ago). He has a 36"x16" viv, I used to use Calcium sand but I just changed it for Repti-Sand because it I hated how dusty it made them and the whole viv and it might cause impaction. I have a heat lamp and the UVB tube bulb that is almost due for changing. His regular diet is super worms and he will sometimes eat some romain and certain fruits. This summer is the first time I have noticed this problem; when he walks he moves his hind legs but they do not lift his pelvis and tail at all. Then when he makes a turn he will not move is hind legs to help him turn and his front legs will almost trip over each other in order to complete the turn. I have heard losing mobility of the hind legs is a symtom that occurs when they have an impaction because of the pressure induced to the spinal cord. However he has been excreting waste at the same rate and with the same visual and physical consistancy as every other year. I still give him warm baths at least twice a week. He also does not show any other signs of MBD but the fact is I don't supplement his diet with powder calcium like I should even though I have it. I have refrained from doing it because he hates the taste and he'll acutally stops eating the food because of the taste. Also the female I have sometimes shares the same tank and she was just diagnosed with worms at the vet, I replaced all the substrate and cleaned her basking post and tank. She is on medication now but is getting alot better. My question is does anybody know if parasites can cause this type of problem with the legs, or if anyone has had a similar problem?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
My first guess on reading your post was impactaion till you said he is still going poo. MBD would be my next guess. How old is your UVB light? I would still try to get suppliments into him. Have you tried the liquid variety? Im sure when when of the Mods see this you may get some better answers. A vet trip can never hurt.

Tibirius30

Original Poster
Thanks, I think your right its either MBD or Hypothiaminosis which is lack of vitamin B which causes similar symptons as MBD, I actually have to change the light this month it will be a year old next month. and I programed a visit to the vet this Sat. morning.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Sounds a bit like MBD to me also. I am going to ask you some questions...if you could answer them, it will help the mods tremendously!
Some of these you may have already answered above, so... sorry if asked again.

What Brand and Type UVB are you using? fluorescent, coil, compact, MVB?
What is the distance between your beardie and the UVB?
What Brand and Watt basking bulb?
What are your temps in both Basking and Coolside?
What are you measuring temps with? Digital thermometer with wire & probe, dial, stick on, temp gun?
Are you supplementing vitamins? How often?
Are you bathing/soaking your beardie? How often?
When was your beardies last poop?
When was your beardies last fecal done?

I noticed you are feeding lettuce and fruit to your beardies. Here is a wonderful food chart that tells you what to feed and what not to feed your beardie http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks Dawn, for posting those questions. :D
If you will answer the pertinent questions we can direct you better. I know you mentioned that your UVB needs to be changed, but there are some brands that are not very good & if you have been using that particular brand for awhile then the metabolic bone disease has slowly been developing. It is not always a rapidly accelerating type of disease, especially in adults that are not growing.
Can you post a picture of him, perhaps we can pick up on other physical changes that you haven't yet?
The calcium wont be absorbed properly if the UVB light does not emit much if any UVB exposure for him.

An adult does need calcium 3 times per week to help maintain healthy bone density.

Tracie

Tibirius30

Original Poster
Sorry to take so long to answer, The brand of UVB light is a 24" Repti-Glo 10.0 fluorescent bulb, which I will change in one week (due to pocket shallowness) and the heating bulb is a Exo something 60w. they are both about 8 inches above the highest basking spot. The round stick-on thermometer reads 85-90F. in the basking zone I have no thermometer on the cool zone.( I've learned that they suck, I will try to get a digital) I ususally give both of them warm baths 2 times a week, actually 2 nights ago he poop in the sink during his bath it looked very normal and it helds its shape. I am sprinkling his megaworms with calcium powder again and he doesnt seem to mind it. I also noticed he was a little dehydrated. I did the skin pinch test and it did not strech taut) so I had to force feed him water with a turkey baster and He does look more attentive. I am not giving him any vitamins, which do you recommend? and light wise what do you recommend. Last Fecal was done a year ago and this Sat. will be the next if he poops before that. I completely forgot to freeze the one he did 2 days ago. I hope I answered all your questions. I really appreciate all your help guys. I will try to post some pics A.S.A.P.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I have a pretty good feeling that he is hypocalcemic if you are not using any calcium supplementation & since he is under a Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb. That particular bulb is not really the greatest with the UVB wavelength spectrum. The wavelength is not very conducive to promoting D3 synthesis which over time, can lead to metabolic bone issues.
How is he doing today?
GREAT you are getting a new light, & a different type of thermometer. Please keep us posted on his condition.
The temperatures are very crucial, so, please don't wait too long in getting a better thermometer just to ensure that his temperatures are optimal for him to digest his food. :D

Tracie

Tibirius30

Original Poster
Thank you all, I really appreciate all your advice and support, tomorrow I take him to the vet. 1 Last question which lighting do you guys recommend? for both basking and UVB. I've heard there are dual function bulbs that heat and provide UVB are they any good? and if so which ones should I buy?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, your tank is large enough to use a mercury vapor bulb. :D The best ones are the Megaray or the T-rex active UV heat. For your sized tank, I would recommend a 100 watt bulb, which will need to be 12 or so inches in distance away from him.
Let us know how things go at the vets.

Tracie

Tibirius30

Original Poster
Good news the Vet said he did not have any signs of MBD but he thought he had some inflamation in his hind legs so he perscribed some Meloxicam. I asked if I could still give him some vitamin B supplement and Acidophiliz, he said that would be very good. He's been on it for 4 days now and he is moving his hind legs a lot better now. His stool sample results came back positive with pinworms, I am going over to the vet to pick up the medication right now. A million thanks to all of you guys your insight and support make a world of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom