My baby just died, what happened? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
So far clutch #2 has not been as successful as clutch #1... One of the new hatchlings just died :'( He was laying on his back by the basking spot as if he just died while basking and fell off :s I don't know what happened...He was only a couple days old, hasn't even eaten yet and he got water daily. Do babies just die sometimes for no apparent reason? It's so sad, but all my other babies look fine. Any other breeders experience the same thing?

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Idk what happened to ur poor little baby but I wanted to offer my sympathies. So sorry 4 u! Really strange how u described it but at least ur others r doing well. Am so sorry 4 ur loss. I'm grieving too -- my mom passed yesterday from pancreatic cancer & I'm very sad. Had to leave my eggs for 3-4 days now & hope they'll b ok when I get home. Am having troubles with temp & humidity & no ones responded to my question I posted over a week ago so am expecting to lose more, as it's way too hot & idk what to do. Am very sad about that too but I have no idea how to fix things. Just hope they're alive when I get back at end of week. My condolences for ur sweet baby.. So sorry :((

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you I appreciate your kind words and I'm so soo sorry to hear about your mother, that has to be so hard :( I couldn't imagine. I hope your babies are okay and as for the temps, what do you have as a lid? You can try opening it a bit to let some heat escape?

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
First off sorry about both of your losses.

Am having troubles with temp & humidity & no ones responded to my question I posted over a week ago so am expecting to lose more, as it's way too hot & idk what to do.

I am sorry to hear about this as well but may be able to help out with this. If your question has not gotten an answer you can always PM a member in hope they will respond. I would suggest to PM one of the moderator and they should be able to tell you a member who has had clutches to take care of. Then you can ask them and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help. Sometimes a PM is best if you need quick answers.

May your memories soon put a smile back on your faces

BeardedDragonCo

Hatchling Member
Unfortunately, some babies do die for no apparent reason. It's rare for them to die at just a couple days old though, unless it was dehydrated or something. After my babies hatch, I let them sleep for a couple days befor I put them under the lights. The bins they're in are on top of my racks, so they stay plenty warm, just not hot or as dry. A lot of breeders leave them in the incubator for a couple days after hatching, this also helps them stay hydrated. Sometimes it is 3 to 5 days before they begin to eat, so I make sure they get soaked and are drinking from a dropper before I attempt to feed. Usually when I lose babies, they are tiny (runts) and don't thrive or something goes wrong that I don't have any control over. If this is going to happen, it usually happens in the 3 to 5 week old age range and it might be one or two out of 300 or so.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BeardedDragonCo":1v95k1c2 said:
Unfortunately, some babies do die for no apparent reason. It's rare for them to die at just a couple days old though, unless it was dehydrated or something. After my babies hatch, I let them sleep for a couple days befor I put them under the lights. The bins they're in are on top of my racks, so they stay plenty warm, just not hot or as dry. A lot of breeders leave them in the incubator for a couple days after hatching, this also helps them stay hydrated. Sometimes it is 3 to 5 days before they begin to eat, so I make sure they get soaked and are drinking from a dropper before I attempt to feed. Usually when I lose babies, they are tiny (runts) and don't thrive or something goes wrong that I don't have any control over. If this is going to happen, it usually happens in the 3 to 5 week old age range and it might be one or two out of 300 or so.

They normally die at 3-5 weeks old??? Oh my that would be even harder...my babies were HUGE at that age. Oh and sorry let me clarify, I do leave them in the incubator until they are running around and seem ready to go, this guy was out of the incubator for a couple days** so probably closer to 3, 3.5 days old. Also I spray them with water twice a day until they stop licking because I'm so scared of dehydration as I've read that is the #1 hatchling killer. Maybe I should switch back to the dropper? But I don't know, the poor baby never looked right, tiny and never fully opened his eyes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom