my baby died

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Sokar, my favorite. I don't understand. He was fine. He has been active, and a bottomless pit. His temps are fine.

I fed him his greens this morning, he ran to the bowl as usual, ate about 75-100 crickets for brunch. He was happily basking when I left at 11. My husband came home at 5 to find him dead. this is the last thing I expected. I can't believe it really happened. I feel like I must be dreaming. This is just so out of the blue. He's not exactly a little baby, he's 15 1/2 inches! I'm so confused.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
I am so sorry to hear this! How old was your guy? Don't let this keep you from getting another one in the future. He was loved while he was with you

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I got him from a pet store, so I don't know his true age. I bought him on March 4, he was 7 3/8 inches, so I guessed 8 weeks. If that was right, he would have been 5 months 3 weeks tomorrow. He grew consistently 3/4-1 inches a week since I got him. Since he got so big, so fast, I wonder if he wasn't older, or a german giant.

This is only the 2nd day he's ever been alone for more than an hour or two since I got him. I'm a SAHM and I play the viola. I signed up for this chamber music program that runs for 2 weeks in the summer. It started yesterday.

I have 2 other dragons, but, I hate to say it, but I haven't bonded with them as much. They're much smaller, and wilder. I'm not able to handle them as much before they decide it's time to run off and explore. Sokar managed to get a special place in my heart. I fell in love with him the moment I picked him. He was so tame and craved attention. He would sit on anyone's shoulder all day, even strangers, children. If my boys, or nieces wanted to hold one of my dragons, he's the one I handed them. He didn't care. As long as you didn't move too fast, you can do anything. I even used to practice my music with him sitting on my shoulder. I think my middle baby knew. She was sleeping right next to the divider in my tank, just opposite of where Sokar died. She never goes over there except to eat. Hubby thought she was dead too at first.

the only thing that ever caused him stress was storms and being outside. We just started making progress with outside. I didn't take him out as much as I would have liked. We get uncomfortably high humidity here. Last time I took him out, he finally felt brave enough to move off my lap into the grass. We've had a lot of bad thunderstorms this week, 2 with tornado warnings. The lights were flickering when my husband came home from work. He was trying to hurry up and get our megarays off when he noticed Sokar wasn't moving. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Crap, I just seen a lightning bug in my house

Frito

Hatchling Member
sorry for you loss, hope the lightning bug wasn't the cause but its definitely possible that it could have happened if he ate one somehow, they are deadly to herps as i'm sure you already know :(

i'm glad over here on the west coast we don't have any thats for sure, i always thought they were cool when i went back to Ohio when i was a kid to visit family so i know how many you have out there its amazing

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'm thinking it was a lightning bug or some sort of congenital disorder. I've had lizards for 10 years. My last one I got when he was probably a week old and had him until he died of old age. I used to rehab iguanas, I know what a sick reptile looks like. He never shown any signs of anything wrong. He was rarely ever even stressed. He got a clean bill of health from a vet like 2 or 3 months ago. and his growth rates outstanding. Just yesterday we were talking about how much bigger his head was looking.

This was him 2 days ago

IMG_2352-1.jpg

He apparently was very active this morning for my husband. As soon as I woke up, I fed him his salad. He literally ran to the bowl and started picking out his favorites. He impatiently was doing the glass dance as he was waiting for his crickets. When I left, he was basking on his favorite rock, head up high and proud. his back was his usually perky sherbet orange (except where he's shedding) and his underside was white as snow. There's no way you can go from that to dead from an illness in a few hours.

this is all so shocking. I'm having a hard time believing it's really happening. I keep asking my husband if he's sure he's not just sleeping.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
OMG I just had to put my baby in the refrigerator. that feels so wrong.

we decided we to get necropsy. not only for our sake, but for our other two. if it is an illness we need to know. and I suspect at least 1 of them is a related. He's a lot smaller, so it'd had to be a different clutch. They have a lot of similar features, the same head, their pattern is nearly identical. The color evolution has been the same. I sometimes have a hard time telling them apart in pictures because Bane looks exactly how Sokar used to look like at that size. I'm not an expert on colors, but I feel it's too much for coincidence. They were unusually close when we got them. We actually got Sokar because of Bane. They refused to be separated at first (we did after they got settled). they were housed with like 20 or 30 other dragons of various sizes. My theory is that they knew each other before, and they clung to each other in an effort to hold onto something familiar in what must have been utter chaos. If there's some sort of genetic flaw then we can have him more closely examined for it, and possibly prevent it.

the vet actually remembered him and she works in a busy hospital! she was pretty shocked as well.

Thank you all so much for your support. It really means a lot. It's been a long time since I had a pet get to me like this. I don't know a lot of herp lovers IRL. not a lot of people would understand. Ok, I've gotta calm down, I gotta get ready to leave. Hopefully I'll be busy enough to forget for a while.

Frito

Hatchling Member
i read up on firefly's and a few studies done and from what i read they will kill a dragon in 1-2 hours even just one so it would make sense why it happened so abruptly.

keep us updated as I'm sure you will.

brandice

Big hugs! I'm so sorry for your loss! It's always harder when it's so sudden :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's nothing that will cause your other dragon/s issues. I agree that it's likely that he snatched up a lightning bug if you've found them in the house. Especially if he's a good eater. They are like a cobra bite to a dragon :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom