My Baby Bearded Dragon (PLZ HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrettxx

Hey guys,
My name is Sean and I am new to this forum.. lol.
I had 2 collared lizards before but I started to read a lot about the Bearded Dragons and I just had to get a baby :p
So I've had him for maybe a week in a half maybe even 2 weeks now and.. theres a problem :(
I can pick him up SOMETIMES for maybe a period of 3 minutes (if that) but other then that he will run and go crazy and open his mouth at me and the buttom of his mouth will like.. puff out.
Also sometimes when he runs I can somehow get him but only pet him for a bit to try and calm him down and I do this for about a minute or two to try and calm him down then i slowly move to his side to try and scoop him up (he gets pushed abit when i am trying to scoop him up) and Im guessing as soon as he gets pushed abit he will start to run again and not let me pick him up :(
I really want to pick him up a lot and be able to hold him as a baby so when he is older he will already like me and be tame with me so he wont get angry, so PLEASE someone help me and give me some advice on how to calm him down naturally so he wont even run from me and let me pick him up right away.
BTW My little guys name is KYE and I have some pictures underneath of him just to.. show what he looks like?
Thanks guys,
Sean.

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kyexp7.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kye2ax0.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ourlizardsetupgq9.jpg

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Sean,

I have been raising my Brutus for 6 months now, and I STILL cannot get him to calm down around me. As younguns, they are very active. Brutus has gotten more used to me, but he's not too keen on handling yet. I think it's all about patience with baby dragons. There's a member on this site, Ethelia, and she's give GREAT advice about developing companionship with your dragon.

I suggest you search the forum for more information about this topic. Alot of other people have asked about it, including me!

Barrettxx

Original Poster
Thank you very much,
I will try and get ahold of her and hope she doesn't mind helping a fellow Beardy owner :)

BTW I do not know why my computer made a double post, prolly went to slow and I clicked it to many times :p

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Hi!

Congrats on your new baby!

Just a couple of questions for you--

What are you using for UVB? (Brand & Number)
How close can he get to it?
What are your temps and how are you taking them?

Barrettxx

Original Poster
Hello,
I am using a Rep Pro 100W UBV Spotlamp,
he can't get too close to it because I am still working on his tank (getting more peices of wood and plants etc.) Hes decently far from his tank but i thought he likes it because he opens his mouth sometimes and closes it then will open it again abit after (Apparently its called gaping and they do it when they like the temperature or when they are trying to cool down) So I think its good, he also has a heatpad underneath one side of the glass (the side the light is on) and I have a heat rock but I am not sure whether to use it or not so If I should please do tell me lol.

**EDIT** I am using a Infrared Thermometer to see my temps + I have a Exo Terra Thermometer right in the middle of the light (hot and cool side)

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
ok - so thats a MVB right?

The reason i ask about distance is because if they are to far from it they are not going to get the benefits of the UVB.

I'm going to do a little digging to see if i can find some info on that bulb.

What are your temps right now using the infrared therm?

Do not use the heat rock - they can not feel heat from below and are likely to burn their bellies. You can use it unplugged if you would like for the time being.

Barrettxx

Original Poster
What do you mean by MVB Im not to sure what that meanss,
and it was the temp I said before, right now the light was off for about 15 minutes cause my rents turned it off but I turned it on when I got home so its just getting back up to the same temps as we speak.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
MVB is a mercury vapor bulb. It provides heat and the required UVB. i havent been able to find much on it. Im going to PM Tracy (Drachie) our resident lighting expert to get her thoughts on it.

WallenSD

Hi Sean, I am also new to this forum and I had the problem you are haveing with your beardie. I have a 8 month old male and when he was a baby I tried to make a certain noise (useing the same noise every time) and talk to him to let him know I was goin to approach him and then I would pet him on the top of his head and down his back to get him used to being touched or handled. I sometimes just petted him at first without picking him up and talk to him. Then when I did the same thing after he stopped jumping I would slowly grasp him lightly behind each front leg and raise him while I put my other hand under him (they like to be supported well under their bellies and feet). After a few times he had no problem with it at all. Just give him/her a little time. akingsley is correct on the UVB bulb, it seems if they cannot get close enough to it they seem to be more irritated when handled. I have mine to where he can get about 2 inches from it and he will stick his nose right up to it sometimes and then go back down a level away from it. They know how much they need and when to get closer to it. I still do the same thing every time I go in now...lol...I guess it has become a habit. Once I get use to the site I will post some pics. of Rocky and his new habitat I just finished. Best of luck with your beardie.

Barrettxx

Original Poster
It is a MVB bulb yes I just looked at it.
&& I think he is getting better,
when he is on his log i can pet his head and down his back and he will close his eyes as if showing a "ooooooooooooohh that feels good" look and I can pick him up after doing that,
i have not taken him out of the tank just yet because even in the tank, when he goes off my hand he wont let me pick him up again he kinda scurrys unless he is on his log, so I don't want him to jump off my hand on the bed and not let me pick him up again :p

WallenSD

Sounds like he will do ok, Rocky give the same look, just keep rubbing his head and his back everytime you go to him even if you don't pick him up (and talk to him). He will get use to the idea. Just make sure you support under him when you do pick him up. Rub the same way when he is in your hand. Rocky also likes it when I rub with one finger under his chin but rub front to back, back to front is rough and he may not like it. If he is still shedding you may want to just rub him in the tank untill he stops cause that may irritate him also. Rocky has gottin to where I can pick him up and pull the skin off (if its a loose piece) and he gives that ooooooooooohh that feels good look too...lol.

You doing a great job, hang in there!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom