My awful biting dragon):

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat101

Juvie Member
Original Poster
popsmoke63B":3koij5lb said:
It would help out alot; for beardies, that is, if the 40gal+ enclosures that open from the front were priced more reasonably! It can be a little difficult to pick them up from the side in a standard aquarium, but it can be accomplished...not easily though.
It's so difficult! Well...if people had longer tanks...I think they can reach from the side a tad bit easier...

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I just grab mine from the top. No lid on my Viv. Of course Franklin isn't going anywhere so that's no concern lol

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
A$$hole its pretty skittish but if he knows you there he its really easy to handle but if you sneek up on him he will let ya know about it.lol
As far as 40gal you can get them at pet smart with a sliding screen top for bout 90 bucks. I got mine on sale for 60

lisa2713

I was scared of my Berded dragon at first. I thought he would bite me. ( He is less then two months old, so it was kinda stupid to think that because he barely has teeth! :D )
People say that before they bite, their beard will turn black, and sort of open their mouth. That is a sign to sort of say, ``back off!``
How old is your dragon. It might be that he doesn't like something about your hand. Before touching a bearded dragon, don`t put on hand cream, hand sanitizer, or even nail polish can affect them. If you had one of those then that might be the reason why.
Best luck with your berdie!

McMuffin

AMHaak":5dvzo3tb said:
Do you feed him while he is in the tank? If so this maybe why. Some times (and no not all beardies do this) when you feed them in the tank then they think everytime you stick your hand in the tank your going to have food and that maybe why he has his mouth open at you. When my beardie has his really hungry days he does this to me.

angie

Wow! I was actually just searching this forum for just that answer... Normally I hand feed my bd in his viv to show him my hands are good and won't hurt him because he is skittish so I have been trying to win him over and just now he bit me 3 times! I was wondering y. but once I saw your post I was like ohhhh lol how do I counter act this? Just don't feed him in his cage anymore?

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
McMuffin":sf7nefrz said:
Wow! I was actually just searching this forum for just that answer... Normally I hand feed my bd in his viv to show him my hands are good and won't hurt him because he is skittish so I have been trying to win him over and just now he bit me 3 times! I was wondering y. but once I saw your post I was like ohhhh lol how do I counter act this? Just don't feed him in his cage anymore?

Handle him in the tank more often without feeding him. I always give people this advice with snakes: if you only get in the cage to feed, the animal will always think you're going to feed when you get in the cage. It's how a lot of people get bitten by their larger snakes. You must handle them often or they think your hand coming in = food. I too will give my little guy some greens by hand and he will stick his tongue out, ready to grab them, if I go in to pick him up. Reach in and rub his head or back, rub his little spiney cheeks. He'll calm down and look for greens before biting after he realizes a hand doesn't mean food.

As for picking up, Malygos is bigger than my hand so he flops around however I pick him up. I go in above him then slip my palm under his belly from the side. Sort of a mix of side and from above handling. Make sure to support your dragon as soon as you can after scooping up his belly as some of the older/larger dragons need a second hand to get their tail end. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom