My 9mos. old BD is sleeping alot on cool side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed tank a couple of weeks ago to a 55gallon from a 20L and have tile and a hide on cool side of tank... sand on other side with his driftwood and some basking rocks. We also got him an MVB .. rep pro MVB 100W. He was hanging out quite a bit on his driftwood for the 1st week and actually while we were out at the reptile expo he jumped out of his tank (someone left the screen open at the top of his driftwood) we got home and he was under the stand that holds his tank.. I got him a new hide and put it on the cool side of tank... he seems to be wanting to hide there frequently.. we put salad in his tank during the day and he eats some.. but when we get home he is in his hide... I take him out and he explores a bit and then finds a place to sleep...
Whats going on? I thought that the MVB bulb made them mroe ative.. he was more active before...
The temps are 105 basking side, 84 cool side...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is your beardie? What type of thermometer are you using and what is the distance of the MVB from the basking spot?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Just a thought: he may be trying to go into brumation (beardies version of hibernation). Mine was really active too, but now he's sleeping in his hide box all day.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you're using a good thermometer and the distance sounds good too. Just a change in lighting can cause a little stress. How is your beardie acting today and how is his appetite? A nice warm bath might help him to relax.

puffersfamily

Original Poster
he was very active today actually when we got home from work.. and slept on his driftwood last night... I guess i was just worried that he was sleeping during the day but i guess he just liked his new hide? RIght now he is asleep on the couch beside me.. he dug his way behind my back and curled around under the back cushion.. too cute... Oh and he had a mess of his salad today so he must have ate a bit, had about 5 crickets and 6 superworms this evening (how many superworms are good? Once i gave him some superworms he wouldnt even look at his crickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom