My 4 year old beardie hardly eats and doesnt eat any veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamjor

I got my 4 year old beardie from a friend for free, who kept her in a tiny 30 gallon tank and only fed her superworms 1-2 a week. She also never bathed her.

I took her and got a 40 gallon breeder and a proper UV, along with a hollowed log for hiding, changed from sand to reptile carpet, go a rock and wood ( I cleaned both ), got fake plants. Many changes. This was around 1-2 months ago that all this changed, and at first she wouldnt eat or do anything, but then she started eating regularly, and going to the bathroom in the tub. Only in the tub, which I'm thankful for. I bathe her 2-3 times a week and she goes almost every time.

But lately, she won't eat anything. She hasn't eaten in days and I put her regular superworms ( the only thing she'll eat ) in her face, I'll put them right in front of her on the ground, theyll crawl under her, she'll look at them and do nothing. Most of the time, I put them near her and she just closes her eyes. Before, I'd put the tongs in her cage with a worm in them, and she'd be so eager to eat that she'd snap at the tongs. Even after she ate it she'd snap at the blue tongs. I guess she knows blue tongs means food.

But now she refuses to eat. Shes never eaten crickets, I've tried and she hasnt. She also doesnt like hornworms. I bought 3 of them, put them in front of her when she hadnt eaten in a few days, and nothing. But that same day, she ate her superworms. I tricked her by putting a superworm on top of a hornworm, so her tongue caught both at once and she ate the hornworm along with the super. But she didnt eat hornworms after that, so she must not like them.

The person I got her from always gave her Kale, but I don't know if she ate it then. I've tried grated carrots, kale, romaine, endive, apples, papaya, lots of things. She wont eat any of them. She doesnt even move from her leaned up log under her heat lamp. I have a soaker tub thing in there with her that she doesn't even look at.

Is this normal? I don't know why she won't eat.

Nova1014

Hatchling Member
Have you noticed her being extra sluggish or sleepy lately? This time of year they go into whats called brumation, which is almost like a beardie hibernation. They cut down on eating to try and empty their stomachs to prepare for a "deep sleep" or in captivities case, a long comfy nap!

Jamjor

Original Poster
Yes she sleeps all day basically, or just sun bathes. I'd say half sleep, half sits there. Doesn't really move at all.

Thats probably what it is! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom