MVB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzambran

Hi everyone! I am debating getting a MVB for my beardie, Alejandro. He has been battling a fungal skin infection that is mostly cleared up, and the vet said that more UVB light may help. He is a "normal" pattern with some yellow, and I've also heard that the MVB's help bring out their colors a little more. Some websites say that the MVB's have higher output than any coil or tube lamp. It would be nice to just have one lighting fixture for UVA and UVB, too. I am a little hesitant to switch over, however due to the recalls of several different MVB brands. It sounds like PowerSun is the best, but I would like to know if anyone on here is using one and if they have had good luck with it. Do you need a special dome for a MVB? or will the regular domes for coil lights work? Also, I was worried about the minimum basking distance, since MVBs are suppose to be about 20 inches away form the animal. I don't want to leave his terrarium uncovered, but would be worried about the UVB not getting through the screen. Putting the MVB in the cage would put it way too close. If anyone is using a MVB I would be very interested in hearing about your set up! Thanks!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I use both the Powersun 160 MVB, and Reptisun 10.0 (not in the same cage) I have 6 beardies. I only have one on the MVB, but honeslty I don't really see any difference between the Repitsuns and the MVB's. All my beardies are healthy.. I do have an adoptee that has slight MBD, and she is the one under the Powersun, and she seems to be getting a lot better. They also have the Megarays back on the market, which used to be the best MVB's but they had trouble with them burning out after 2 months. I think they have fixed the problem, and I am waiting on results on them:
www.reptileuv.com

They also have the Arcadia's that you can get in the US now.. those have higher UVB output than the reptisuns, but do not give off heat for basking.

As for pictures, here is my set up , the MVB is on the right in the big dome.. however I don't have a tight mesh screen.. it's more like chicken wire with big square holes...

ollienewcage1.jpg

gzambran

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the info and picture! I will have to look into getting an Arcadia or possibly a screen with wider mesh. Chicken wire is a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom