MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMitch

Can anyone reccomend the correct MVB bulb to use for a 40gallon breader tank?
I dont really need it for heat - more so for the UVB. I have a basking bulb for a tightbeam of basking. But i hear that some of the MVB's are better than the coil and such.
Its a 40gallon breader - not sure if a 100watt would be too much, or should i go with a 60watt since i dont need it for heat so much as for the UVB. And what is the correct distance for these types of bulbs?
Thanks
Michelle

MaDon

12-18 inches is the recommended distance for the MVB's -- 12" being the absolute minimum.

Since you're not looking for the MVB to act as the heat source, the MVB -- External Ballast may be your best bet.

The ballast makes the 60w option a bit more complicated than the self-ballasted bulbs, but the external ballast will help if you need to frequently move your cage, there's a lot of activity (bumps) around the cage, etc.

I've only had experience with the ones from ReptileUV, so I cannot comment on MVB's from other sources, sorry. But, I hope that helps.

MitchMitch

Original Poster
"i would just get a 100watt trex flood or a 100watt megaray. I would also recommend you get a hanging light stand like the one in the link so you can adjust your distances as needed."

I actually have stands... i do not rest my lights on the top of the tank.... not comfortable with that. I like the stands.. this way i know that Spike can not get burned by touching a light by accident if he were able to get up there. i have a stand that has an adjustable dimmer as well.. so the basking spot can be turned down or up as needed.
How far would i put a 100watt trex flood? they emitt no heat? sounds like what i need. I have a lamp stand that has the ceramic casing that will hold a 160watt bulb. Would i want to put that stand somewhere over the middle of the tank with the trex flood and make it how far away from his basking spot?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
no the trex does put out heat. That is one of the great things about mvb bulbs like the trex. They put out both heat and UVB so you are killing two birds with one stone. The minimum distance from the bulb to the basking spot is 12 inches with that bulb. You will probably want about 14 though to get your temps right.

MitchMitch

Original Poster
Spectacular... i will order one on line this weekend... hopefully it will be the end to my lighting woes!!!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom