MVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
We just got 2 t-rex's and two reptile hangers to adjust the height of the t-rex's. I wanted to get the Mega ray but everyone is saying it's backordered and I felt we needed it sooner. Anyway, we don't need an additional bulb as sometimes during the day the basking spot has gotten to 102, which Zoom doesn't seem to like very much. I saw her in the cool side one day and noticed the basking spot was 101, then a few minutes later it was 102. When we raised the hanger it lowered to just under 100 and she went back to her basking spot. We live in a hotter part of the country than Diane does and we are a little concerned that her tank will get too hot in the really hot part of the day, that's why we got the hangers.
So far, tho, both beardies have gotten a lot more active since using the t-rex. It did take about 24 hours for them to get used to having it on in their viv's. Since the 2nd day we had it on in Speedy's viv, she's been up and basking by 6:15am (light goes on at 6:00 am) where as before she wouldn't be ready to get out of her bed much before 8am. Zoom is the same way but she doesn't come out by her self (my spoiled little princess), her head does raise up earlier and she seems to want me to get her out of her bed earlier. I think you will have a good result with the t-rex.

I hope this helps a little.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for posting that info. It is true that it gets much colder here compared to where you are. Another reason we need a lower wattage bulb on the cool side is because her tank is alongside a window so I know that plays a part in it. The MVB's do make them more active and MUCH more colorful. We have the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent on the other 2 tanks but soon plan on getting MVB's for them. They are definitely worth the investment and only need changing every yr where the fluorescents need changing every 5 to 6 months.

Sammy28

Original Poster
can MVB's go in the dome light fixture? It says up to 150W, but I didn't know if it being a MVB would make a difference.

-sam

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a deep dome with a ceramic top and it works very well. They do get very hot so it's best to use one that is about double of the rated wattage they suggest for the dome. Pet mountain carries the deep dome at a good price.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
diamc":e61c0 said:
Thanks for posting that info. It is true that it gets much colder here compared to where you are. Another reason we need a lower wattage bulb on the cool side is because her tank is alongside a window so I know that plays a part in it. The MVB's do make them more active and MUCH more colorful. We have the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent on the other 2 tanks but soon plan on getting MVB's for them. They are definitely worth the investment and only need changing every yr where the fluorescents need changing every 5 to 6 months.

We have 2 40 breeder tanks (thankfully both bought used) that are both by our south facing window. We do have a tree shading part of the windows and the short end of both is by the windows, that's why we need to keep a close eye on the temps, thankfully my husband is home when I'm gone. We usually have to lower it in the morning and raise it up later in the day. We usually keep out house just under 80 in the summer to use less electricity and we try to keep it colder in the winter.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Sammy28":fc30b said:
lol i wanna get the MVB so bad but it's back ordered!!! AHHH.

-sam

Second Diane and beardie parents suggestion! The T-Rex is an excellent MVB, a VERY close second to the MegaRay.

We planned on the MegaRay as well, but when we were setting up our dragon's new enclosure, they were back ordered... and we couldn't wait! :wink: We went with the T-Rex, and couldn't be happier with it. Our beardie who had been previously struggling with appetite and growth (due to a poor UVB light), has been doing BEAUTIFULLY under the T-Rex MVB. She's been under it for just under 2 months, and has growth nearly 4 inches, and that's saying a lot for a beardie who was stuck at 6 inches for 3 months! :D

As Diane mentioned, we also use the deep dome. Here is a link: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/513264/zoo-med-repti-deep-dome-lamp-fixture.html It has the required 10 inch ceramic fixture, and the deep dome gives the MVB some space between the fixture itself and the edge of the dome, so that it can sit safely atop a screen if need be (we use a lamp stand however, because sitting it directly on the screen gets our basking surface a little too hot).

We planned on replacing our T-Rex with a MegaRay when it was time, but we're so happy with the T-Rex, we're planning to just stick with it. :D

Hope this helps!

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom