Mvb wattage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 50 gallon glass tank just wondering what wattage of mvb should I get I hear they get pretty hot and since im in Australia its getting really hot I don't want to spend heaps of money on a bulb that will make the Viv too hot. So I'm getting the solar glo I think there's 50,80 and 125 watt. What should I get? The light will sit about 20-30 cms away from my beardie in the Basking area depending where she sits. The tank is not long about 2.5 ft so will she get enough uvb if she's at the cooler end? Any tips or advice please let me know I'm just sick of buying uvb internationally since where I live dont sell Arcadia or reptisun. Where as they sell the solar glo near me.

Savora

Hatchling Member
The only reputable MVB bulbs are the PowerSun and the MegaRay brands. You can check to see which one is cheaper in your area or on your online stores (I don't have experience with Australian vendors). For a 50 gallon tank, even in a hot part of Australia, I'd think that a 100watt would work just fine for you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not crazy about Solar Glo based on test results I've seen, they can be quite inconsistent. A PowerSun would be better but they are ridiculously expensive in Australia. For the same price I'd get a T5 UVB tube with hood (also ridiculously expensive, but better bang for your buck). I'm hopeful that the newer Solar Glo bulbs are more reliable than in the past. I have yet to test the latest ones. The mounting distance determines the wattage you'll need. At 20-30cm I agree a 100w should do the trick as long as there isn't any thing blocking the output. The 160w bulb would need more like 30-40cm (generally speaking, the bulb outputs can vary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom