MVB QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayAreaReptiles

Hatchling Member
So im finally upgrading both of my BD's setups to MVB and need some advice on what wattage I should use for my enclosures. I know that it has to do with type of enclosure ambient temp and so on. Here are my two setups. I live in San Francisco weather is usually 55-70 outside in the apartment its usually about 70degrees.

First one is a 80 gallon aquarium with screen tops. I have ceramic fixtures for the MVB's. I use slate tile and Have a 48inch tube florescent for extra light.

Second one is wood measures 42X24x24 it has screen all on the top and is sealed closed on the sides. It has a 24 tube for extra light.

So basically I am torn between the 100watt or the 160watt..

My other MVB questions are:

Can I use a dimmer with it?
Is it safe to use a timer with it?

Thanks..
Carlos Miranda :D :D :D

MNbeardie

Hatchling Member
My enclosure is pretty close to your wood one, except it's a solid top with adjustable ventilation on the back and sides. I use a 100w MegaRay it has worked great as far as basking and ambient temps. You can't use a dimmer with MVB, but a timer is a good idea.

BayAreaReptiles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MNbeardie":9f45f said:
My enclosure is pretty close to your wood one, except it's a solid top with adjustable ventilation on the back and sides. I use a 100w MegaRay it has worked great as far as basking and ambient temps. You can't use a dimmer with MVB, but a timer is a good idea.

Thanks....Do you use any other light source? Or does the MVB put out enough light?

MNbeardie

Hatchling Member
I also have a 36" flourescent daylight with a white cover just for brightness. The MVB keeps the temps perfect without additional heat in the summer. This viv is fairly new and I haven't dealt with winter temps yet. We'll cross the Minnesota winter road when it comes.

Reven1337

If you are concerned about having enough light i would also suggest getting a 5000k+ household bulb aswell for 2 reasons.

A) i find in my enclosure, even with a 4ft double florescent fixture housing 2x5000k t12 bulbs AND a Mega-Ray 100watt SB the cool side tends to be a little dark. So another bulb in the cool side should brighten it up a bit.

B) It will also provide a 2nd basking spot so that the dragon can not only thermo-regulate but can also photo-regulate (controlling how much UVB they are getting).

Now i cannot do this in my enclosure as my ventilation will not allow 2 basking bulbs (gets way too hot), But you did say that your top was a screen so you maybe more successful than i.

I hope this helped :)

-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom