MVB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Does anyone know if the powersun mvb causes any kind of health issues? The reason I bought this one is b/c megaray was sold out at the time. The reason I ask is b/c I have noticed her closing her eyes alot. Any input would be appreciated...thanks!

Christy

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
its not too close. She is in a 40 gal breeder. Maybe shes just getting used to it. her previous home didnt provide her with uv and used a 40 watt household bulb hanging from a lamp.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Personally, I say don't bother with the powersun. It's really not a better bulb than a reptisun 10.0. It just doesn't have the same kind of UVB output of the nicer MVBs like the T-Rex or the Megaray.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Yeah... exact distance is important.
And double check that you bought a 100w bulb... not a 160w. That's too heavy-duty a bulb for a 40g breeder.
Also, when I had my girl in a 40g breeder, I had to really watch it with what she could climb on. It's really easy to get too close in them.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, I have it about 8 inches away from her highest basking point. I had to do this to maintain proper heat. It is the 100 watt.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At 8 inches for a mercury vapor bulb, even the Powersun, is too close. You need to move it to a safer distance at least of a 10, but preferably a 12 inch distance. Then, you can use a low wattage lightbulb of around a 40watt bulb to help maintain temps.
What are your basking temps at?

Tracie

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
You are going to have to somehow get more distance. 100w MVBs need to be a minimum of 12 inches away. It's not because of the temp, it's because of the UVB output

You can always add a second basking light.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I am in the process of rigging something up so it will hang over the tank.

Thanks again!

Christy

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, so now I have the light set 14 inches away from her basking spot with temps reaching 100.8. Problem is it seems like she is getting worse. She is becomming more and more aggressive everyday. She is becoming lethargic and keeps her eyes closed all day unless I put my hand in to feed her b/c God forbid I try to touch her! She has stayed in the coolside of the tank all day today sprawled out and won't eat..not even supers which are her favorite. She is on paper towels, has an MVB, is fed everyday even though she wont eat her greens I still provide them. She gets horns, supers and phoenix worms, and bathed every other day. Today I went to put her in the sink for her bath, after almost being bit, and she stayed hunched over and actually allowed herself to go under water. Its like she was stiff as a board. She woudnt come up. At first I thought she was drinking but then I saw the bubbles and knew she was under. I quickly picked her up and she was still stiff. I couldnt straighten her out. I put her back in the water and wiggle her tail a bit and she snapped right out of it flailing around as she usually does. She then went back to being stiff so I took her out and put her back under the heat. Thas when she just flopped down and hasnt moved since, eyes still closed....keep in mind that her eyes were closed all during her bath as well.
Can anyone help me please? I know she needs to get to the vet and I am waiting for Friday (payday) to take her in. But what could be wrong with her? What should I ask the vet about tests that should be run? I would appreciate any help!

Thank you!!!
Very worried mommy!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christy,

How long did you have the Powersun at 8 inches from her?
What do her eyes look like, are they sunken in or bright?
I think right now, until this issue is resolved, that you should take the Powersun out & replace it with a bright white halogen bulb for basking. I think that she has had enough UVB for a couple of weeks due to it being at such close range & her eyes need time to heal up.
So, just use a halogen with NO UVB right now until she begins to get better. Her eyes may have a condition similar to "snow blindness" type of syndrome. You know when we go skiing & the sun glares off of the snow & burns our eyes or corneas? Then our eyes are super sensitive for awhile? This is the same type of feeling that her eyes are probably going through so she needs a break from UVB for a little while.
You can get some turtle eye wash from the pet store, or some regular saline eye solution to drop in her eyes to help them out.

You also may need to begin assist feeding her & rehydrating her orally for awhile too. Getting an large overdose of UVB dries the membranes out so she needs to be rehydrated with water & pedialyte, daily.

Let me know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom