MVB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use a exoterra 125w mvb bulb for my lizard's uva/b output but i had a question about their durability; my ceramic lamp fixture is clamped onto the top of his viv, but it just isnt clamped on very well and sometimes will just pop off and the mvb will land on the screen, now it kinda sounds like its broken but still emits light. will this light not emit the proper output for my little buddy or should i go ahead and put in the replacement one i have for him? thanks

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
The filaments inside are able to move a little and you can hear them when you shake it. It's fine as long as its still working. A deep dome will be better because the bulb won't protrude through the bottom. Or build a step up out of wood to sit the edges of the dome on and allowthe bulb to hang down. They should not be at an angle at all either or they won't project the proper amount of uv because they don't have a fresnel type lens that directs the light like a true spot.

injectedink

Original Poster
i believe i've got the biggest lamp dome around here for the light, just the convex part of the bulb is sticking out.
you say that the mvb bulb needs to be placed facing directly down towards him? not clamped onto the side facing at an angle? sorry just confirming that so i can build a little support frame for the light then

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
That is my understanding with these bulbs due to the way they disperse the light. Somewhere I saw a color graph with a pattern showing the different levels of uv and how they come out of the bulb. It went down into a point towards the middle and fanned upward to the edges. The T Rex and Megaray have different kinds of lenses that direct the light in a tighter beam.

If you read the Solar Glo paperwork, it says it reduces the filament life of the bulb and voids the warranty. You know how you can hear them inside, they must be fairly loose, so that position must relieve any stress on them. Also, these bulbs are supposed to give a UV gradient, so its more concentrated in the middle and gradually decreases around the edges.

Don't get me wrong, I think these bulbs are great. I'm using at least 10 of them and never had a problem. The bracket or stand is probably a better idea as a solution to your problem and to be sure your dragon is getting the most out of the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom