MVB or tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsP

So I made a newbish mistake and didn't realize that UVB 10.0 T8's needed a special fixture... needless to say it burnt out my regular strip. I only discovered this when I came home tonight to 2 burnt out fixtures and my beardies being in the dark :( After researching on here we set out to Walmart to get new t8 fixtures, which they did not have in stock. We then went to Home Depot and again they didn't have any. I plan on calling around tomorrow until I find a store with them in stock. But, I'm now debating if I should try MVB or not? I've never tried MVB and have read mixed reviews. My previous dragons were always kept with UVB 10.0 & CHE's.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
We have one of each - Richard has a ReptiSun 10.0 tube and Dubs has a PowerSun 160 MVB. We tried to switch Dubs's light to a ReptiSun a couple of years ago and he absolutely HATED it! We're talking a full-on toddler tantrum that lasted two weeks! I finally gave up and put the MVB back in, and he immediately became his darling self again. His colors are beautiful, his eyesight is so good he can see a Phoenix worm across the room, and his appetite is great, which is why he looks like a tick. Richard, however, does better with the PowerSun. So I think it depends on the beardie and the type of enclosure/lighting arrangement they have. I understand that Arcadia has an MVB bulb that is recently available in the US, and I think I'm going to try it next time Dubs' light needs replaced, which should be in about 5 months (just got him a new one a few weeks ago).

MrsP

Original Poster
How do you determine the watts for a MVB? Is it the same as their basking bulb? I just purchased 3 reptisun 10.0's on Amazon last week but if MVBs are easier I'd consider getting them instead. I know my beardie, Bentley, was on an MVB when I bought him but I've always used a tube.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
The MVB bulbs come mostly in either 100 watts or 160 watts.
Use whichever one gives you the right temperature on the basking spot.
They can't be dimmed - so you just have to move them closer/farther away or use a different wattage.

Remember that with an MVB, your dragon needs to be a MINIMUM distance of 11-12 inches away from it
(and a maximum of about 16-18") so the heat output can be a bit diminished from what a regular basking bulb will give you.

That being said, my 100 watt PowerSun MVBs are providing plenty of heat at about 14 inches distance. YMMV of course.

As to which is better, I'm not really certain:

Right now, I've got one dragon on just a powersun MVB, one dragon on a basking bulb and an Arcadia 12,
and one dragon on a powersun MVB AND a Arcadia 12. I'm watching each of them closely to see if anyone seems to be
doing better than the others or is "more happy" (hard to do with Rico though...he's such a grumpy guy :mrgreen: )

MrsP

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I don't think an MVB would be suited for my terrariums seeing as how they are only 12" tall. I believe my local OSH has some t8 fixtures in stock so off to the hardware store for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom