MVB lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

awn

So after much reading and talking to people, I decided to make the switch to MVB lighting. My question to you is, how far from your basking spot do you have yours mounted? I had no idea they give off so little heat compared to regular basking bulbs. Can I see some of your enclosures with MVB bulbs? Thanks!

neacail

I had to stop using mercury vapour, as when I moved Orion into his second enclosure (PVCX) I couldn't get the bulbs far enough away from him (it has no screen top). In his PVCX enclosure, the closest part of the bulb would be 12" from the basking surface after removing his basking platform (which I don't want to do, as that would have him on the tile on the bottom of the enclosure). But, the new 70 Watt Mega-ray (which has a minimum distance of 6") may work for us.

The distance between your basking spot and the bulb would determine what bulb you use. The Mega-Ray 275 has a minimum distance of 24". The Mega-Ray 100 has a minimum distance of 12". Not adhering to the minimum distance for the specific bulb could result in too much UV and ocular damage. You may need to add an additional heat source to get basking temps up.

If your beardie's enclosure has a screen top and the MVB would be on top of the screen there is a lot more wiggle room. You can just hang the light at the required distance above the basking surface using a lamp stand if you don't have the clearance you need (which I what I did when Orion was in a glass aquarium).

awn

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! .. Since I posted this topic, I got help from a fb group that solved my issue. Using a reflective dome with the bulb seriously boosted its output. Where as I needed 5-6" to get 100 degrees on my basking spot before, I now have the bulb 11" away and the temp is as high as 118 in a couple spots. When I build their new enclosure, they are going to be 2 feet tall, so I should have plenty of room now either way :)

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I use a 100 w MVB for my 40 gal breeder tank. Mine is placed over an opening to my mesh cover approx 12" from a perch my Gizmo can sit on. If I hav the mesh between the bulb & the tank she sits right under the MVB most of the time & her coloring is dark as if she's trying to absorb the light. When I hav it over the opening (no mesh between it & her tank) she spends her time in different parts of her tank.

80462-2306330297.jpg

neacail

Sorry, AWN. I didn't realize that you already had the MVB. I thought you were in the "shopping for it" phase.

I have a 24" tall enclosure, and I honestly wish I had more height to give him a lot of varied terrain.

9D6745B3-376C-47D4-8526-54ACEA709B66_zpsayesxi6s.jpg

I just have a 75w basking bulb in that fixture right now. If I toss in a 100w MVB I have to pull out all of the basking tiles (I add and remove tiles to get the right temp, instead of switching out bulbs).

If I could do it again (which I might), I'd add another 12" to the top of the enclosure in the way of a second compartment to house the MVB, heating items, and the HerpKeeper and EcoZone controllers. That compartment would have a flip down door. The habitat area would have a screen top. The only things actually inside the enclosure would be the T5 fixture and an RHP or two.

I don't know how well anyone will be able to visualize what I'm describing. I guess the moral of the story is to plan better than I did. ;)

If find it so awkward that I'm contemplating moving him back into a 40B, but he is such a huge glass dancer that it wouldn't be wise.

With the reflective dome and the close distance, just make sure to watch your beardie really well for any occular distress. I've done the same thing in the past (reflector and closer distance) and it worked fine. But, caution is warranted.

awn

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and pics :) ... I am currently in process of building an enclosure as well, it will be 24". I recently raised up my bulb a bit as she didn't seem to like it as some spots were 118. now the highest spots are 105 - 108. I only raised it 1/4" and it made that much difference, so I think with 24" I should have plenty of room. Like you, I am trying to plan to get this right the first time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom