MVB decay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Hi,

I am currently doing some research into getting an ackie monitor and on the kingsnake.com monitor forum I was reading a MVB lighting discussion. One of the posts says this: "Mercury vapor bulbs should be replaced yearly, like a traditional UV light. They'll still light up but there'll be a distinct yellow hue that indicates the light is decaying, or putting off UVC instead of UVB. "

I am pretty scared right now because for a month or so Nero's T-Rex 100W has a yellowish hue to the light when it's first turned on. I don't notice it later in the day, just in the mornings, I'm not sure why. It baffles me because the T-Rex is about 7-8 months old, so it shouldn't be decaying yet - at least I hope not. :|

I'm willing to buy another MVB bulb right away but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this or can verify that this is true. Nero isn't eating much but he's active and basking, and he does have a very light case of pinworms that I'm waiting on Parazap to help treat.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I wish I had access to a UV meter, Lance. It would really be helpful... I love science, and numbers are so much more exact. :)

In the meantime I replaced the T-Rex with a year-old Megaray, just to see what would happen. Maybe it's just me being way too hopeful but the Megaray light does appear bluish and the T-Rex, more yellowish. Nero's also a lot calmer under the Megaray. I'm going to order a new one when my husband gets paid. Thank you :)

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm not (as of yet anyway) but that quote came from a thread where they were debating whether UVB is needed or not for monitors. Ackies seem pretty great, I'm really enjoying doing the research. :p

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Delshara":300ae said:
I'm not (as of yet anyway) but that quote came from a thread where they were debating whether UVB is needed or not for monitors. Ackies seem pretty great, I'm really enjoying doing the research. :p

I have 5 ackies....I also have timors....ackies all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom