Muscular Dystrophy in Bearded Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All!
I rescued my beardie about a year ago. He has been suffering from neurological muscle problems his whole life. We have seen numerous vets and they all have been for the most part stumped by his condition.
However recently I began a conversation with a woman who runs a rescue after seeing a video of her new bearded dragon rescue. She talked of reptile muscular dystrophy. There have been multiple studies done on it in the 1960s but for some reason, it has been quiet since then.
The main symptoms are often confused with MBD neurological problems. The main difference is that these dragons often have no other symptoms that are indicative of MBD. Harry never had the soft bones, the swellings, tremors, and other symptoms pertaining to MBD. However, he does have severe trouble with muscle control and coordination, these have been progressive. Harry, as with many other beardies with this disease, have been given excellent care and diet and still these symptoms pop up.
I have talked with several other bearded dragon owners and many people are now noticing this disease. Many believe that it is from improper breeding habits from the larger reptile companies.
Due to little research, and as with Human MD, there is no cure and not current definitive treatment. Our only hope at this point is to pull research from Human MD and safely apply it to our reptiles. So this is where my question comes in. There are several supplements that have been shown to improve MD in humans. I would like to know which ones would be safe for me to introduce into my bearded dragons diet.
The list includes
- fish oil
- MCT oil
- Cod Liver Oil
- Taurine
- CoQ10
- L-Glutamine
- L-Arginine
- Creatine
These along with different diets, such as a ketogenic diet, have been shown to increase the lifespan.
Thank you so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom