Moving to new room too cold need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jporter1

I have been struggling to keep my temps up in the 100s i have a 40 gallon terrarium. One that opens from the front. I have the reptisun uvb and then i have a 120watt floodlight and a heat em miter on all the time. I think the problem is that i am in the basement and the temps outside are in the 20s. The only way i can keep the temps up are running this electric heating in my room and that's not safe to always have running. I would like to move my beardie into the room next to me which is my only other option. The only problem i think with that is that I have my TV in there and my speakers in there. I am not sure if i am able to move her in there as if it will cause her stress? I dont know if it matters but she will be able to see the TV and all so i dont know if all the movement she sees coming from that will stress her out or not. Also how much will noise affect her if something is too loud? Its not as loud as a movie theater but i sometimes like to enjoy a movie in there turned up a little more than just viewing tv. I guess i am asking how much stress will it put on her if i move her into the other room. I prefer to have her in my bedroom but me being in the basement with the temps so low it is just too cold in here to keep the temps up without running the heater. Thanks for the help. John

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Our vivs are all in the living room where the tv and games are lots of noise and movement in there during the day and evening. So far i havnt seen any issues with them.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
You could get a CHE ceramic heat emitter it puts off heat but no light. We have a heater we use 24/7 our home stays 68f winter time. You may have to use more than one basking bulb for daytime to up the temps. Ive had to do that on a few of our vivs.

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
I have a 55 gal that probably has the same problems as your viv & I keep our house cooler, too. I had to hang the lights on chains (so I can adjust the height and remove them for bulb changing) in the viv because of the extra height. I also have 2 lamps for heat + the ceramic heater for night. You can try different watt bulbs, too. I also bought a bigger ceramic heat emitter so that it could sit on top of the screen top for keep Fred warm at night. I didn't want to hang that -too close to Fred, don't want any burns. They come in different wattages- check the package. Fred is toasty warm at night now. I am also thinking of checking out the mega ray bulbs, hoping they put out more heat. As for noise and commotion-my house is always noisy and busy and the beardies like to be in the middle of it all. They have fits when they can't come out and play. We do reptile shows and the 2 girls love to be pawed by little kids. :D So, its what they are used to and what they are subjected to. Anyone else have any ideas?

jporter1

Original Poster
Thanks everyone They all sound good. Looks like i will be moving her viv tonight when i can get help to move it. i had two 75 watt floods and the che on and the temps were right around 100. Then i just moved up to a 120 watt flood and the che . By the way its a 60 watt t-rex heat emitter. and the temps were at 90 with just the 2 lights. I then turned the heater on in my room and the temps were right at 105. So i think i might take a trip to lowes to get another fixture to put the 120watt in. just seems like a lot but i guess how cold my room is that's how it has to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom