Moving from 10g to 55g Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViC2288

Whats up everyone,

This is official my first post :). I brought home my Spizike, my Sandfire Red Beardie on 6/30/10 and have been visiting this site many times since then so I decided to join. I have him in a 10g tank for now but I have a 55g long tank in the backyard which my brother used for his beardie before it passed away. Spizike is about 7inches long and according to the exotic pet shop I bought him from, he's about 3-4months old. I was wondering when I could move him to the 55g long tank. Any suggestions?

Pics of Spizike (Hopefully he really is a male!)

photo2-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
you could move him into a 55 gallon tank as soon as you wanted to. the only thing you would really have to make sure about is him being able to find his food. sometimes when the tank is too big the little guy has trouble finding food.

good luck! hes cute!

ViC2288

Original Poster
Thx for the help!

But...that's one thing im concerned about because he doesnt really chase crix around....

when i dump them in he automatically jumps from his branch onto one and eats two or three in the same area but then he will just sit there still and wait until they come to him....

is this normal behavior?

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
yea totally. he's actually being smart in a way, (not wasting energy trying to catch his food. I have no idea if they do that intentionally :wink: )
have you had him long? my beardies did the same thing, and now they go all over the place to get food. like.... jumping about six inches into the air trying to get the crickets before they even get into their cages. haha

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure to clean and sanitize that old tank before moving your little guy in there. Considering the former occupant passed away, it would be a safe bet to clean the tank. You have lots of options, the easiest of which would be to fill the tank with a 10% bleach OR ammonia solution and let it sit for 30 minutes (don't mix these two chemicals, noxious fumes will result). I recommend using ammonia, as its effective against coccidia.

Process is rather simple.
Step 1. Warm soapy water to clean and scrub any debris from the tank, then rinse
Step 2. Thoroughly wet tank with 10% sanitizer solution, and make sure it remains wet for at least 15-20 minutes. I recommend you fill the tank up at least 3" up from the bottom with the solution, then spray the rest of the sides down. Most of the pathogens will be concentrated where the substrate was, and that means the floor and a few inches up the sides. You might have to spray the rest of the tank several times during the 30 minute cycle, as it needs to remain wet.
Step 3. Rinse rinse rinse, and rinse again. Keep rinsing until you can't smell the solution. Since its a glass tank, spraying it with a hose should be easy enough.

Also, not to be a bother, but from the look of those pics your little guy is on colored calcium/vita sand. If that's the case, then switching to a standard sand would be a better alternative. Safer for your animal and cheaper for you. Loose substrates are often inadvertently consumed with food items, and this can lead to the substrate building up in the digestive tract, which can lead to something called impaction (clogged internals). Additionally, the dust from loose substrates can irritate eyes and lungs, and the dye used in many artificial sands will stain reptile skin after prolonged contact. Lastly, loose substrates provide a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria, which can be tracked back to you when you handle your animal. Natural sand is not as bad, as its less likely to pose an impaction risk (doesn't clump like calci-sand when wet), and will not stain your animals skin. I recommend ditching loose substrates completely, and using paper towels until your little one is older, then switching to stone tiles or one of the other solid substrate options. At the very least though, natural sand is better then the calcium stuff any day of the week.

Nice looking animal, and he looks happy! Good luck!

ViC2288

Original Poster
thanks alot guys...

the last beardie didnt pass away inside the tank but the tank has been going through different weather conditions so it definitely needs some deep cleaning. thanks for tips. i think im going to let him grow a few more inches before i put him in the 55g.

where would i get natural sand from???

the exotic pet shop where i got him recommended crushed walnut. is this any good???

AndyT

Juvie Member
No crushed walnut is very, very bad. It's one of the worst substrates to get. Apparently, your shop doesn't know beardies. Good substrates are paper towels, newspaper, repticarpet, or my favorite, slate tile. Keep us posted.

Andy

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
please dont use crushed walnut, can cause impaction.
people say reptilite can cause impaction, but i havent had any negative experiences with it.
dont use a product called "calci-sand" ever. i think its made by a company called t-rex or something.
play sand from a hard ware store is considered to be safe.
paper towels are good (annoying to clean though.)
slate or tile is considered to be the best.
i personally dont like reptile carpet or turf because the fibers get stuck on the nails of the beardie.

ViC2288

Original Poster
ok will stay away from walnut then.

what im currently using in his setup is repitilite. chick at the petshop said that its easy for them to digest and its got something in it that bounces off the light or something...cant remember what she was talking about.

i know looks are not the most important thing, but i really do enjoy the desert look and playsand has a plain off-white color. do you think it would be safe to mix it with the orangey repitlite?

thanks.

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
im sure it would be safe to mix together.

one thing i forgot to mention about the reptilite. always use the neutral colored reptilite if you do use it. the reason is, the colored sand, doesnt matter what kind it is.... will give off a dye color and stain your dragon. it isnt harmful, but the underbelly of your dragon will be orange. some people dont care, but i do. i always use the neutral colored reptilite and slate tiles. i have slate tiles on one end on top of the sand where the water and vegie dish are and the rest of the set up just has sand.

AndyT

Juvie Member
I don't think that any sand substrate is "digestible", but it may pass through better if ingested. I have never seen reptilite, but I'm guessing that it is just another version of calci-sand, therefore at least slightly dangerous.

Andy

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
im sure it is slightly dangerous. and i cant say for 100% sure that it is safe. but... i actually havent seen any kind of literature on reptilite causing impaction on any website or forum yet. i havent had any negative experiences yet either. not to say that its not possible that something bad may happen.
i have, however, read horrible things about calci sand.
i do take precautions as well. i feed all my beardies outside of their cages in a sterilite tub and place them back in. the vegie dishes in all the setups are kept on top of a slate tile with no sand around for a square foot area around the dish so no sand is ingested.
the reason why i like the reptilite sand so much, is because it makes the set up look natural and quite attractive while being very easy to clean as well! all i have to do is use a sand scooper and sift out all the waste and im done!

AndyT

Juvie Member
Its great that you take so many precautions for the welfare of your beardie! I think that sand looks great, but I really like tiles. I have no problem with people using sand as long as it is a safe environment, like yours.

Andy

ViC2288

Original Poster
up until this point, i havent seen my beardie eat up any sand...

i cant say what he does when no one is around nor do i have slow-motion replay to see if any is taken an when he snatches up crix but i just hope it never happens...

how do beardies avoid impaction from sand in the desert???

AndyT

Juvie Member
Wild beardies live most of their lives on packed in, heat baked clay-like dirt and rocky outcroppings. So there is little chance of impaction in the first place. Also, we can't say that they don't get impacted in the desert, they likely do. Beardies' life spans in the wild are not nearly as long as in captivity, and I'm certain that at least a portion of wild beardie deaths are related to impaction. All we can do is make sure that it doesn't happen in captivity- by not using sand as a substrate, or any other loose substrates for that matter.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom