Moving across country with Lizzie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackAtTheLab

In just over a year, my fiance and I will marry and move our new family across country for grad school. That family is the two of us, a cat, and Lizzie the dragon-girl.

Advice on moving a dragon on a two day trip? Is shipping safer?

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Oh hon, you sound JUST like me!

I am already married, but in a year, we are moving from DC to Arkansas. Depending on the time of year, you may be able to bring your beardie with you. That's what I plan on doing with Phoenix. Just make sure you bring enough supplies for the two of you.

Shipping is safe also. The decision is yours. :)

BackAtTheLab

Original Poster
I'm so nervous about shipping her.
I've never done anything like that before and I assume you don't just take your beardie to the post office :roll: , so how does that work?

We're moving in the middle of July. Does that help?

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
I would just bring her with me. However; a breeder would be able to explain to you what shipping beardies is all about. They do it all the time and I'm sure it has become second nature almost.

Good luck. You have a year, like me, to figure things out. Things can change, but it is always good to have a plan. :)

PHXSPAZZ

Hatchling Member
When we move 2400 miles to DALLAS TX , SPAZZ rode on the dash of the rental truck.
We just took her crickets, megray light with a 300 watt power inverter, and her tote.
When we went to eat we got her salid at the resteront and she gaurded the truck,
the best one was theis 2 people though she we a stuffed animal till she moved !! lol
If you start driving her around town she will b ready to go anywhere you go!
SPAZZ loves to dash ride, she go's all over town with us !!

DOUG ,ROSE & SPAZZ

spyder79

Extreme Poster
I will be moving 6 in a few short months and my plan is to shut them down (type of forced brumation) about a week prior to the move. Let them sleep through the drive. As its summer time ill be using quite a few coldpacks to surround the boxes they are traveling in to keep them cool in my vehicle. When they wake up they will be in their old homes (tanks) in a new area and hopefully not know the difference but we shall see if it works out that way. You have to be prepared for relocation stress after the move as there is a distinct possibility of them not acclimating to the change immediately.

As far as shipping I wouldnt do it if it was not neccessary. I see shipping (when done properly) as very safe but its far more stressful than traveling them yourself.

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
I have moved with my 5ft corn snake across half the country. (and 2 cats. what a nightmare!!) Though i know its not the same, i would be extra carfull about not stressing them out. And they WILL know they are in a new envierment. After we got settled i tried feeding my snake. He wouldent eat for 2 months after the move. So, we were forced to give gim a live feeder mouse (we normaly use thawed frozen mice). So, now 3 years later we JUST got him back on frozen mice, because once they taste live, they almost NEVER go back. We were lucky. So, there will be some stress but i would do everything to make your little guy as stress-free as you can. I got my beardies (and other pets, see sig) after the move, so i havent had to move with them. I hope this helps. Good luck! :D

buku

I just recently moved with Buku, we did a 13hr drive in two days. Just kept him in a shoe box with a blanket, when we got to the hotel room we set up a smaller tank with his lights and fed him some crickets. then off to bed about an hr later. When we got to the new place we set his tank up and within 2hrs he was back to his normal self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom