Moved Beardie to new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobbikus

I just recently moved my sons bearded dragon over to a 40Gl long from a 10 Gl starter tank, The tank is 3ft L 12 1/4" w, 17" high I originally got the calcium sand and then I read on here that was bad and is harmful to the Beardie. Is this true? I took the sand out and changed to the matting. Also changing them over to a new tank ball park how long do you think before they get use to the new tank and start eating and moving around? His was not moving around and his beard was black and his stripes were showing on his under belly. Any information would be helpful. I will try and put pics of the tank on here
Thank you !

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
When you change tank sizes, normally your current basking light needs to be changed to a different wattage. What are your temps directly under the basking spot and on the cool side of the tank? What kind of UV light do you have?

Lighting is a huge factor in a bearded dragon's health and comfort.

Halister

Juvie Member
I agree with Shanny, like setting up the 10 gal you now have to start over and get the same with the new one. Yes sand is not a good thing. Just harbers to much plus breathing in dust 24/7 cannot be healthy for him.

HuckWeb

Alot of people are strictly against using loose substrate b/c of impaction, sanitation reasons etc. To be completely honest I used walnut shell w/ my oldest from the time he was in a 10g until recently in his 40gb. I have completely ditched the loose substrate b/c frankly, I love my kids and wouldnt want to fathom even the idea of them being in pain b/c of something I could have easily prevented. I went to Home Depot (IDK where your from but that's a home improvement store by me but anywhere would do) and purchased a few nice pieces of travertine tile $1.88 each for a 12in square (btw a STEAL :mrgreen: ). I took it to the tool rental area and they cut it to my measurements FOR FREE :D . Whats nice is it holds warmth really well too so that's a plus & it looks awesome.

As far as relocation stress it varies. The only time I had RS issues was when I upgraded Pog (my oldest) from his 20g to the 40gb. I believe the reason for that was b/c I added something new which was a big tree for him to climb. He gave me the stink eye for awhile and black bearded me a few times. Bama (my youngest) has never given me a stress issue. Both of them are complete chow hounds so being off thier feed would be totally unacceptable to them LOL. Usually after a day or two he should be good. You def want to take Shannybeards advise and up the wattage in your lamps.

Hope this helped!

Jamey in NJ
Human slave to Pog & Bama

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Halister":r080cdmk said:
I agree with Shanny, like setting up the 10 gal you now have to start over and get the same with the new one. Yes sand is not a good thing. Just harbers to much plus breathing in dust 24/7 cannot be healthy for him.

Yes we just set up new 40 gallon breeders for my girls and we had to get all new basking lights and put them on dimmers to get the absolutely perfect basking temp and cool side temp. My husband is a perfectionist with all things bearded dragon and he hounded me about the temps and he's right. They have to be perfect. You sit in your home and adjust your A/C thermostat. If it is 10 degrees hotter than you are used to, you feel like you are gonna die. Same with reptiles.

Back in October we took a Disney vacation and brought our beardie with us in a 10 gallon (He had a 35 gallon at home) and we set up the lights and didn't really understand temps and viv sizes. Noticed right away our beardie was acting miserable. Checked the temp and it was like 140 degrees under the basking spot! :shock: :shock: We felt like the worst people in the world.

Check those temps ASAP. Let us know what you find and what you have and we will help you out.

Halister

Juvie Member
ShannyBeard":10iqnze1 said:
Halister":10iqnze1 said:

Yes we just set up new 40 gallon breeders for my girls and we had to get all new basking lights and put them on dimmers to get the absolutely perfect basking temp and cool side temp. My husband is a perfectionist with all things bearded dragon and he hounded me about the temps and he's right. They have to be perfect. You sit in your home and adjust your A/C thermostat. If it is 10 degrees hotter than you are used to, you feel like you are gonna die. Same with reptiles.

Back in October we took a Disney vacation and brought our beardie with us in a 10 gallon (He had a 35 gallon at home) and we set up the lights and didn't really understand temps and viv sizes. Noticed right away our beardie was acting miserable. Checked the temp and it was like 140 degrees under the basking spot! :shock: :shock: We felt like the worst people in the world.

Check those temps ASAP. Let us know what you find and what you have and we will help you out.

Good for him being picky. Im very picky and I work from home so Im always on the dimmer switch. Might need to see a doc :mrgreen:
Dont feel so bad, if they had enough they will move or ditch out of site in his cave. I baked Thug once at 129 when we didnt have the dimmers. I felt bad but then he didnt mind it (stayed under it off to the side). He has always liked it hot since he was 3 weeks old. I wouldnt adjust the AC or the heat. Thermos have a +- of 3 to 5 deg difference and if you think about it a nice aussie breeze would make that deg difference in the wild. You will see him slide around his bask, if he is to hot he will slide off to one side if he is cold he will site right ontop and flatten out so they will show you if there good.

Sounds like you got everything for that little one.. Now where are the pics! :shock:

dobbikus

Original Poster
thank you everyone for replying. the basking light is now 100W the infrared is 75 and I have the old infrared which is 50 W as well just in case, I have a desert 50 UVB fluorescent bulb going across the cage. He is doing much better that the sand is out now and using the matting. he is eating just fine. Beard is still a bit grayish for some reason and he is still a little dark. I have the temp gauge near the bottom of the cage for both sides. Basking side is at 82 and the cool side is 80 and I have a heat mat under the tank. I might have a little to much. I was thinking of upping the basking light to 150 W and the infrared to 100 W. I would like to post pics on here but not sure how

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction! Good for you on checking those temps. About the infrared - is this something you are using for heat at night? The reason I ask is we don't find infrared lights helpful to bearded dragons at night - they see color and they need darkness to sleep. We were mistakenly told by PetSmart to use a red light for heat at night and we found our beardie wasn't sleeping because of the color and he was miserable. We don't use any lights for heat at night at all as beardies can have a night temp as low as 65 F and be fine. I've never used an under tank heater, either. They do need that temp shift at night to slightly cooler. Does this make sense? (Maybe someone else can explain better?)

dobbikus

Original Poster
here is the pic

IMAG0636.jpg

dobbikus

Original Poster
ShannyBeard":1fexzsyb said:
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction! Good for you on checking those temps. About the infrared - is this something you are using for heat at night? The reason I ask is we don't find infrared lights helpful to bearded dragons at night - they see color and they need darkness to sleep. We were mistakenly told by PetSmart to use a red light for heat at night and we found our beardie wasn't sleeping because of the color and he was miserable. We don't use any lights for heat at night at all as beardies can have a night temp as low as 65 F and be fine. I've never used an under tank heater, either. They do need that temp shift at night to slightly cooler. Does this make sense? (Maybe someone else can explain better?)

I was told by petsmart as well to use infrared at night as well, so that is what I have been using. My house gets to cold for me not to use something at night for him to sleep.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
dobbikus":1i30gkrf said:
ShannyBeard":1i30gkrf said:

I was told by petsmart as well to use infrared at night as well, so that is what I have been using. My house gets to cold for me not to use something at night for him to sleep.

For a reptile that does not see color, an infrared light at night is fine. I use one for my gecko. For bearded dragons, you will need to purchase a ceramic heat emitter. It emits heat only and no light. It will fit in the same dome fixture as your other lights. That red light will keep your beardie from getting his beauty sleep! :shock: :shock:

dobbikus

Original Poster
ShannyBeard":on5f5z3w said:
dobbikus":on5f5z3w said:
ShannyBeard":on5f5z3w said:

For a reptile that does not see color, an infrared light at night is fine. I use one for my gecko. For bearded dragons, you will need to purchase a ceramic heat emitter. It emits heat only and no light. It will fit in the same dome fixture as your other lights. That red light will keep your beardie from getting his beauty sleep! :shock: :shock:

Is there a certain kind I need to get? Does petsmart carry these?

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
ceramicheat.jpg

This is the type of Ceramic Heat Emitter I use.However,even though Terra's in a 40-gallon,I just use a 60-watt since I have it on at night.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
TerratheBeardie":2fm3gvpr said:
ceramicheat.jpg

This is the type of Ceramic Heat Emitter I use.However,even though Terra's in a 40-gallon,I just use a 60-watt since I have it on at night.

Yep that is exactly the kind we have for my rescue beardie. We live in Florida and really don't need a CHE for nightime warmth, but with the rescue and his health problems it was advised to keep his night temps in the 80's to give his immune system a boost. Mine is a 60 watt also. CHE's aren't the same as a basking bulb, the basking bulbs concentrate the heat into a small spot directly under the bunb. A CHE will radiate the heat through the tank.

Halister

Juvie Member
I dont use anything at night unless I see it go under 15 deg for the over night. Otherwise kapping the thermo at 65 for over night is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom