Mouth Rot & Early stages of URI

teacherinpjs

Beardie name(s)
Moolan
Hi there, I just got back from the vet for my 7 month old beardie. She has small amount of mouth rot & start of a URI. The doctor perscriped Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim & Metacam/Meloxicam along with Critical Care for herbavores. I got her to take probably a teaspoon or more of the slurry and then gave her first dose of meds. She is on her basking spot completely laid flat and just lethargic.

I know we are on the first day of this but just hoping to get any suggestions on how to maybe better feed this slurry or if something else is better? And what to expect with these medications for side effects. S

he is on a probiotic currently and has been for 10 days or so. But she of course hasn't eaten since yesterday and just looked really weak. I have electrolytes from Bug De Lite and defiantly can give more of those. She likes those.

Thank you in advance for any help.

PS: all her stats and tank info is in my profile.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there, I just got back from the vet for my 7 month old beardie. She has small amount of mouth rot & start of a URI. The doctor perscriped Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim & Metacam/Meloxicam along with Critical Care for herbavores. I got her to take probably a teaspoon or more of the slurry and then gave her first dose of meds. She is on her basking spot completely laid flat and just lethargic.

I know we are on the first day of this but just hoping to get any suggestions on how to maybe better feed this slurry or if something else is better? And what to expect with these medications for side effects. S

he is on a probiotic currently and has been for 10 days or so. But she of course hasn't eaten since yesterday and just looked really weak. I have electrolytes from Bug De Lite and defiantly can give more of those. She likes those.

Thank you in advance for any help.

PS: all her stats and tank info is in my profile.
We need the correct distance since the 14% is on top of the screen - I had the 14% inside my zen 4x2x2 so I am gonna have two people look at your post - I do recommend that you get two digital probe thermometer-s they give the most accurate surface basking temps- the IR gun is good but the digitals are most accurate- please keep her tank warmer at night like 80 or so a ceramic heat emitter is best for that -
@CooperDragon
@Drache613

teacherinpjs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moolan
We need the correct distance since the 14% is on top of the screen - I had the 14% inside my zen 4x2x2 so I am gonna have two people look at your post - I do recommend that you get two digital probe thermometer-s they give the most accurate surface basking temps- the IR gun is good but the digitals are most accurate- please keep her tank warmer at night like 80 or so a ceramic heat emitter is best for that -
@CooperDragon
@Drache613
I met roughly 10” from the screen. I measured the uvb with a fancy meter from my local pet shop and the meter reading was perfect.

I have 2 different types of thermometers. One has a probe I believe and it sits next to her basking spot. Without it being in her way, where should that sit I guess? I was under the impression a IR gun is the most accurate way.

I do have a ceramic heater and heater running had her temps in the high 70’s. But I’ll up that tonight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I met roughly 10” from the screen. I measured the uvb with a fancy meter from my local pet shop and the meter reading was perfect.

I have 2 different types of thermometers. One has a probe I believe and it sits next to her basking spot. Without it being in her way, where should that sit I guess? I was under the impression a IR gun is the most accurate way.

I do have a ceramic heater and heater running had her temps in the high 70’s. But I’ll up that tonight.
Ok inside the tank? Or top of screen? That distance might be good if it's on top of it's inside that is too close 14% bulbs are real strong- if it's inside distance should be 17-18 inches directly above her basking decor- the probe doesn't need to stay on the basking decor you can place it on the side of the tank and spot check every 10 days or so - the IR gun will not read off of certain materials- example hammocks- I still want Cooper dragon to look at the uvb distance

teacherinpjs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moolan
Ok inside the tank? Or top of screen? That distance might be good if it's on top of it's inside that is too close 14% bulbs are real strong- if it's inside distance should be 17-18 inches directly above her basking decor- the probe doesn't need to stay on the basking decor you can place it on the side of the tank and spot check every 10 days or so - the IR gun will not read off of certain materials- example hammocks- I still want Cooper dragon to look at the uvb distance
The UVB light is on top of the screen and I metered her current basking spot with a UVB meter from my local pet shop. The reading perfect. She has correct UVB lights. And her basking spot is garden pavers. So I would think the temp gun is reading off of that correctly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB light is on top of the screen and I metered her current basking spot with a UVB meter from my local pet shop. The reading perfect. She has correct UVB lights. And her basking spot is garden pavers. So I would think the temp gun is reading off of that correctly.
Ok Tracie should be able to help w/ the meds

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? That is a lot of medications for her to be on. Did the vet dose them for you
to be sure the correct dose I hope?
How does your dragon like the Repti-hydrate?
As suggested, try to keep the overnight temperatures around 75-80F to help boost her system in the
case she is developing a respiratory infection.
Sulfa drugs are particularly harsh on the system, so do try to ensure she gets oral fluids, daily to help
out the kidneys.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

teacherinpjs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moolan
Hello,

How is your girl doing? That is a lot of medications for her to be on. Did the vet dose them for you
As suggested, try to keep the overnight temperatures around 75-80F to help boost her system in the
Sulfa drugs are particularly harsh on the system, so do try to ensure she gets oral fluids, daily to help
out the kidneys.

Tracie
Hi there, Well this morning she is still lethargic. I mixed up the food and hopefully can get her to eat some. I just set it on her nose and she licks it off, I’m assuming that’s the right way to get her to eat the slurry?

They pre dosed the medication. I attached a picture. I’m think they are right. I will definitely give more repti hydrate. She loves that stuff even though she is sick.

If I can get her to eat some silks, would that be helpful too? She normally loves them.
I was able to keep her overnight temps around 80.
Hoping today she perks up. She was pretty laid out and bleh yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 88

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi there, Well this morning she is still lethargic. I mixed up the food and hopefully can get her to eat some. I just set it on her nose and she licks it off, I’m assuming that’s the right way to get her to eat the slurry?

They pre dosed the medication. I attached a picture. I’m think they are right. I will definitely give more repti hydrate. She loves that stuff even though she is sick.

If I can get her to eat some silks, would that be helpful too? She normally loves them.
I was able to keep her overnight temps around 80.
Hoping today she perks up. She was pretty laid out and bleh yesterday.
Yes I would feed her the silks if shes going to eat them --- and if she is licking it off her nose thats good --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The doses look pretty good, very conservative. How is she doing today?
Be sure she is getting plenty of fluids, since she is on so many medications.
The silkworms are very good & help with hydration also. Keep trying to get her to eat on her own
so she can get nutrition into her.

Tracie

teacherinpjs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moolan
Hello,

The doses look pretty good, very conservative. How is she doing today?
Be sure she is getting plenty of fluids, since she is on so many medications.
The silkworms are very good & help with hydration also. Keep trying to get her to eat on her own
so she can get nutrition into her.

Tracie
Hi there,
Thank goodness. I was hoping they were good.

She ate all the silks I could get from the pet store. haha inhaled them! I got her to eat some crickets & supers. She refuses her once loved dubais. I believe she ate some of her salad, it looked missing. Ive been giving the repti hydrate & probiotic. I tried to get her to drink plain water. That she was not interested in. So today going to try and mix the repti hydrate with some water or maybe she will eat her salad.

She is more awake today but still mad haha.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi there,
Thank goodness. I was hoping they were good.

She ate all the silks I could get from the pet store. haha inhaled them! I got her to eat some crickets & supers. She refuses her once loved dubais. I believe she ate some of her salad, it looked missing. Ive been giving the repti hydrate & probiotic. I tried to get her to drink plain water. That she was not interested in. So today going to try and mix the repti hydrate with some water or maybe she will eat her salad.

She is more awake today but still mad haha.
Try these websites for silk worms
www.reptilianarts.com
Live Silkworms For Sale (bombyx mori) Easy Silkworm Care they have a east coast and west coast

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great she decided she liked the silkworms then! They are highly nutritious. Hopefully she
is enjoying her greens, so many don't eat them regularly.
Hopefully the Repti-hydrate is helping her out, if she will take it pretty well.
They can get mad or upset so quickly but she will be alright!

Tracie

teacherinpjs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moolan
Hello,

out the kidneys.

Tracie
Hey Tracie, Its Christine from the emails :) From Bug De Lite!

Wanted to give an update for anyone who reads this thread too. Finished the meds and by the last 2 days her appetite went completely away. Couldn't get her to eat anything, We are a few days post end of medications and still no appetite. Started Reptiaid & she is much happier this morning but not interested in food still. Her poo is diarrhea and Im hoping thats just because her gut is out of whack.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How has her breathing been through this and what signs of mouth rot do you see ? Can you take a few pics of her mouth ? That large cocktail of meds. would knock out most beardie's appetite, especially sulfa drugs. Metacam can do that as well and should only be used if extreme pain is involved which probably was not with the diagnosis you gave. Has she lost weight ? Her appetite should come back after being off the meds. for a while though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom