Mouth Rot Advice needed - UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouiseK

Hatchling Member
Hi,

My beardie has basically starting eating his veg in a weird way, slowly and lots of licking. I have checked he has nothing stuck in his lips or teeth but i have noticed that he has a bit of a blue tongue at the tip and he is pretty thirsty. My partner thinks his tongue looks a bit white too.

I think my bearded dragon may be in the early stages of developing mouth rot and have been advised that a topical application of a Betadine or Nolvasan solution should be able to clear up such a mild case.

I just need some advise from someone who has experience with home treating.

Where can i buy a lizard friendly solution and how should i go about diluting it properly?

How many times per day should i apply it?

How long should i continue treatment?

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Mouth rot usually doesn't just appear. It is an infection that was most likely caused by a minor cut inside of the mouth which got infected, improper temperatures that suppressed the immune system to where a minor cut got infected, malnutrition, improper digestion.
The tongue, you mentioned is white? How white are you talking, just the tip or the entire tongue?
Can you take a picture of the tongue? Mouth rot is normally affecting the gumline area, too. What does that area look like?

As far as home treatment, getting Nolvasan & diluting it to a 1% strength. I don't have a bottle in front of me, but it usually has the dilution ratio on the bottle, for diluting it in a 1 gallon amount. That is a safe strength for irrigation for wounds & for oral use. You can get a swab & dip it in the solution & gently clean out the mouth, daily, 1-2 times if possible.
If you mix it up to a gallon container, just use 4-6 tablespoons of Novalsan & add it to the water to get a 1% or so strength.
If you cannot find the Nolvasan, try looking online for it. Or you can go to a drug store & try to find betadine or povoidone & dilute that down for an oral rinse.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom