Mouth Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem83

Hatchling Member
Im a little worried about my boy. I have done a lot of research about respiratory infections and brumation. My beardie has been slowing down with eating last month or so (not eating barely any greens, but still goes after live food). I thought it could have been slowing down for brumation but not sure. I have noticed he has been doing some mouth breathing lately. His mouth isnt wide open its just a very small opening. He doesnt take deep breaths, i dont hear any clicking noises, and done see any thick mucus in his mouth or coming out of nose. His colors are all great and his temps are normal (Basking spot 100-105, and cool side 80-85). I notice sometimes when he is alseep his mouth is still open and his tongue is sticking out a small bit. He gets 3-4 baths a week. He is a little over 3 yrs old and is active, especially when out of his cage. I just cannot put a finger on what could possible be wrong. i dont have any reptile vets in my area either. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thank You

paulsmom06

My guy does the same thing.
Here's a picture:
20qksnt.jpg

I have wondered if it was a respiratory infection,too. He acts normal as well minus this slight "gaping" all the time.

I am anxious to see if anyone has any advice as well.

mikem83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thats exactly how my guy is. I dunno if it could be a shed coming on because it looks lik there is a small piece of skin stuck in his nostrils but im not sure. I worry too much sometimes but thats just me

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I know this thread is kind of old, but I hope by posting it might bump it up and you'll get a response. I'm curious about this as well, as my dragon has been doing the exact same thing, and I came across this thread while searching for more URI info.

paulsmom06

My guy has been doing this for over a month. He is eating fine and everything. Temps are correct. No nasal discharge or eye discharge. No coughing sounds. Nothing.

I thought it might be a respiratory infection but I figured if that's what it was, wouldn't it have gotten worse or shown other symptoms by now? I hope someone has insight into it.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I'm having the exact thing happening. I think I might take him to the vet just to be sure, or I'm just going to keep worrying. :roll:

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Tazz was doing the same exact thing, mouth slightly open, eating less and sleeping more. Took her to the vet Friday and she has a URI. She had no other signs of having anything wrong, no mucous, no clicking noise, nothing. Just lack of appetite and mouth slightly open. I would get him checked out by a vet asap.
Amy

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Just out of curiosity, what did your vet do to check? Mine only listened to his chest and checked his mouth/throat. Did you have anything else done?

mikem83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I kno it sounds bad but i dont really trust a vet. I dont have any reptile vets in my area (ne pennsylvania) but most vets do not specialize in reptiles or lack experience. I just try to make sure im doing everything correctly with my husbandry and if i notice anything out of the ordinary i use this site for help. I would rather talk to people who have many yrs experience with beardies and i think that it better than goig to an inexperienced vet and possibly get mis diagnosed and give my beardie medicine that he may not even need

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
The vet I went to definitely was no beardie expert. But he did listen to her lungs and then he did a chest x-ray. That's how he knew she has fluid in her lungs. He was the only "reptile" vet I could get an appt with on such short notice. But it seemed I knew more about Bearded Dragons than he did. The chest x-ray can't lie though. She did have fluid in her lungs so she has to take antibiotics. A friend of mine who raises snakes told me about another reptile vet who is supposed to be more knowledgeable. I will make my next appt with him.
Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom