Mounting reptisun in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just mounted my reptisun 10.0 inside my tank using a all living things hood and I had to mount the hood backwards because the switch is on the back of it so the front of the panel is against the glass with Velcro and the back is facing towards the front of his tank my question is will that affect how much uv is getting to my dragon ? If I would of mounted the back against the glass I wouldn't have been able to turn it on and off

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is this a T8 fixture or a T5 fixture? I don't think the orientation matters as long as it's overhead, but the distance from the basking site will depend greatly on which type of bulb is being used. If you can post some photos it would be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Fosterryan

Original Poster
It is a t8 fixture. Reptisun 10.0 t8. I was using a mega ray mvb before but it wasn't hot enough and he always asked under the spot lamp I paired with it to get correct temps . So i decided to go tube light paired with spot lamp with a dimmer.
92031-2087257309.jpg
92031-7756946650.jpg
92031-9579671965.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that should be fine. Keep in mind the effective range for a T8 is 6-8'' so you'll want the basking platform to be within that range. The fixture can be set backwards like that no problem because the light is still being focused downward.

Fosterryan

Original Poster
Oh okay mine is about 10 inches so I'll have to lower it a bit. Thanks for your help! One last question does it matter that it's slightly behind the basking spot ? Idk if you can tell in the picture that's from the side of the tank but it's not directly above

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That will cut down slightly on the output but shouldn't be a big deal. Think of the output as an inverted cone. It will send UVB to the sides but the most intense UVB will be right under the bulb. Here is one of my test results for a T8 to show the output as you move out from the light as you're describing:

76248-1418777672.jpg

You can see the output drops as you move outward and straight down from the bulb. Ideally you'd want a UVI of between about 3-6 in the basking area with a gradient down to 0 as you move away from the basking area.

Fosterryan

Original Poster
Thank you that really helps a lot with my understanding. I'm definitely going to bring the light down a couple inches to get better uv. Your info is extremely helpful! I just want everything to be perfect because I see so many dragons getting mbd and I don't want that to happen

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. I wouldn't let it be closer than about 6'' because it can get visually intense at close range. You might add a branch or something similar to allow access to closer distances as an option but I would keep the main basking site between about 6-8''.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
jayce82":1py28bhh said:
what I'm confused about it how do you expect the uvb light to be directly under basking light? that makes no sense. it has to be off to the side

The UVB light should be next to the basking light. The basking platform should be under the lights.

jayce82

Juvie Member
I know that. but what I'm saying is there is no way to put basking spot 100% under each light. it has to offset from one of them

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
jayce82":1jlvl9s7 said:
I know that. but what I'm saying is there is no way to put basking spot 100% under each light. it has to offset from one of them

I think you may be over-complicating this
The basking light and UVB aren't competing for the same spot, they're side by side, basking being above the basking spot, UVB being tucked next to it

Fosterryan

Original Poster
I get what he's saying I didn't really think about that but yes it definitely has to be slightly to the side or it would be under the basking light kind of a dumb question on my part haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom