Most efficient feeder insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaEQ

Hey, I'm considering getting a beardie in a few weeks and I was wondering what type of feeder would be the cheapest and most convenient to prepare in the mean time, especially for someone who's super squeamish around insects!

I was planning on starting a dubia colony ( as long as I don't have to touch them) but I've heard they take a few months to breed enough nymphs for juvenile beardies, and I've heard bad things about crickets.... and they creep me out... Should I start a dubia colony anyway? Are certain worms such as supers or reptiworms good staple feeders? I've researched as much as possible and I'd love to see your opinions on what you think of your feeder insects.

Does anybody have any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated! :mrgreen:

ChristinaMike

Hatchling Member
I just got ours a couple of weeks ago and started with crickets... not impressed ?? She/he only eats a few the seems "meh" with them. After spending these weeks constantly reading here, I decided on the dubia's and beginning a colony as well as BSFL. I figure that should give a well rounded diet.

The crickets have been more hassle than they are worth lol

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
ChristinaMike":2kiojo87 said:
I just got ours a couple of weeks ago and started with crickets... not impressed ?? She/he only eats a few the seems "meh" with them. After spending these weeks constantly reading here, I decided on the dubia's and beginning a colony as well as BSFL. I figure that should give a well rounded diet.

Yeah, there's no way that I'd get crickets, they smell, make noise, jump about. Did I mention that they're creepy?

ChristinaMike

Hatchling Member
EmmaEQ":2v4jt9ji said:
ChristinaMike":2v4jt9ji said:

Yeah, there's no way that I'd get crickets, they smell, make noise, jump about. Did I mention that they're creepy?

Didn't have issue with that just way more effort than I care to exert and die super easy lol put me in the lazy department ??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dubias are probably the most efficient once you have a colony going. Having said that, I've never used them , crickets have been what I've used for over 25 years. They really only smell if some of them begin to die [ usually due to being shipped in hot weather ] and aren't bad at all noise-wise if you can keep them in a cellar. They're easy to feed and can be gut loaded with all the greens that beardies eat.

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
AHBD":wi58niss said:
Dubias are probably the most efficient once you have a colony going. Having said that, I've never used them , crickets have been what I've used for over 25 years. They really only smell if some of them begin to die [ usually due to being shipped in hot weather ] and aren't bad at all noise-wise if you can keep them in a cellar. They're easy to feed and can be gut loaded with all the greens that beardies eat.

Thanks, I think I'll have to use crickets anyways if I get dubias to let the colony breed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've been using crickets of various sizes for my main staple feeder insect for skinks and dragons for about 9 years.
They are fine, easy to care for (I find them easy) , clean and usually accepted .

Buy your bugs (crickets or roaches or locusts) in bulk and look after them, and give them good quality food , feed the insect rubbish it becomes a rubbish feeder insect.

I also use silkworms when I can get them, they are a great feeder and you don't need many to give your lizard a good feed of insect protein.

My skinks get mealworms as treats and cultured garden snails (restraunt grade) as specials (I'd give as a staple if I had enough).
My beardies get mealworms and superworms as treats ONLY when over 1 yr old.

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3vz40boh said:
I've been using crickets of various sizes for my main staple feeder insect for skinks and dragons for about 9 years.

They are fine, easy to care for (I find them easy) , clean and usually accepted .

Buy your bugs (crickets or roaches or locusts) in bulk and look after them, and give them good quality food , feed the insect rub it becomes a rubbish feeder insect.

I also use silkworms when I can get them, they are a great feeder and you don't need many to give your lizard a good feed of insect protein.

Which websites do you find are the best for buying dubias, crickets, worms etc.?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EmmaEQ":7svxtn5c said:
kingofnobbys":7svxtn5c said:

Buy your bugs (crickets or roaches or locusts) in bulk and look after them, and give them good quality food , feed the insect rub it becomes a rubbish feeder insect.

Which websites do you find are the best for buying dubias, crickets, worms etc.?

If you are in Australia , I buy from Frog Arcade and AussieFauna.

ChristinaMike

Hatchling Member
EmmaEQ":vm6pptij said:
kingofnobbys":vm6pptij said:

I ordered BSFL from symton which arrives today (so good turnaround), I ordered roaches from Dubi Deli which will be here Monday and I ordered the crickets I have now from LLL Reptile.

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
ChristinaMike":3hadur41 said:
EmmaEQ":3hadur41 said:
kingofnobbys":3hadur41 said:

I ordered BSFL from symton which arrives today (so good turnaround), I ordered roaches from Dubi Deli which will be here Monday and I ordered the crickets I have now from LLL Reptile.

Ok thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom