Morphs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovePink74

I've been hearing about different bearded dragon morphs.
Is that like a cross breed between different Dragons? Or just different colors they come in?

Anyone know what "Morph" my beardie is?

Holyoke-20120611-00145.jpg

His colors tend to change from really light, to then really dark.

Holyoke-20120625-00226.jpg

Any Ideas?

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
A morph occurs when two or more clearly different phenotypes (visual mutation) exist in the same population of a species from which the genetic make-up (genotype) determines the outcome.

Two of the more common recessive morphs are hypo and translucent.

Hypomelanistic, or hypo for short, is the absence of dark pigment. These dragons have 20 clear nails and lighter colors than normal dragons.
Translucent or trans for short, is the absence of white pigment, resulting in a "gummy" kind of look. These dragons have solid black eyes.

There are also co-dominant traits such as leatherbacks, which have reduced scaling.

Your beardie does not appear to display any of these traits, and without knowing the genetics, he would be classified as a normal.

theres tons of morphs that the guy does not mention , yours looks like a sandfire dragon. keep it mind they change in colors drastically over their growth

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
AriZoNaSHacKeR":3fg4gh9u said:
theres tons of morphs that the guy does not mention , yours looks like a sandfire dragon. keep it mind they change in colors drastically over their growth
Sandfire is not a morph. It is a bloodline. To have a Sandfire means that you bought your dragon from Sandfire Ranch. If the dragon didn't come from Bob Mailloux at Sandfire Ranch, then it is not a Sandfire dragon.

LovePink74

Original Poster
Uhhm yeah, mine just came from petco guys. Lol

Although I don't know exactly where he was hatched..
I just thaught he was a cool "morph" since he was the only bright colored one out of the 4 which were all a pale sandy color.

Sometimes his underside gets really really white, and his back gets orangy/red/grey kinda. Its pretty cool, but not he's usually like that darksih gray in the second picture.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
He does have some amazing coloring. I have some normals with bright coloring as well, but they do not display any visual morphs. I think there's just some confusion over coloration, bloodlines, and morphs. People tend to throw them all together, but colors and patterns are not genetic morphs.

LovePink74

Original Poster
Ohh I see. So basically just Normal bearded dragons. With brighter colors than usual? Not really a specific morph. Just a brighter color

petco has some cool morphs SOMETIMES, you got lucky with yours!! if you google sandfire babies you can see yours looks identical, thats how my moms was. it looked like a normal but had some colors now its orange and red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom