morphs frowned apond:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml_3

Hatchling Member
why is the translucent, leather back and silkie a not liked morph?

i just bought 2 trans and thinking about getting some leathers because they are a co dom morph and in the future ill probably cross them to my trans to get leathers het trans then go for trans leathers then prolly silks trans now as u know ill have to get many un related blood lines to do so but that's not a problem the problem is people buying them.

please give me ur thought do u think people will buy trans leathers and maybe silk backs?

twyliteskyz

Hatchling Member
ill tell you my opinion , not as some beardie gene expert , but as a consumer with moderate understanding of animals and that it took them hundreds of thousands of years to develop what parts they do have and when one human intervenes with that over say, a few months, the guaranteed health an survivability of said animal is questionable, did i say that right?.

jml_3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no i dont think u did see im a leopard gecko breeder and i deal with morph all the time and the bearded dragon market is full of line bred traits and only 4 "true" morphs all i would be doing is making a combo morph like the RAPTOR or RADAR in leopards i see no difference. In all reality i would bringing new ideas and options to the Bearded dragon world.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
The objection people have to those morphs is that you have to inbreed for several generations to produce that "defective" gene that makes them leather- or silk-back. Inbreeding produces interesting morphs, but it also creates other genetic abnormalties making these dragons less healthy than others. So, most of us (or at least some of us) are ethically and morally opposed to a breeding system that trades off good health for "looks".

jml_3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i see ur point but i can make a leatherback if i bred to anything with out inbreeding or linebreeding if u will thats the greatness of a co dom morph so first year id have some leather back het trans then breed to a diff bloodline trans male or female for trans leather back which = a new bearded dragon morph...

the way i would do things would have no linebreeding or inbreeding involved

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
i think part of the point is that some inbreeding has in all likelyhood already been used to produce these morphs already

in my head it is kind of like the breeding of dogs to produce pure breds which has gone on for along time, now these pure breeds have much more health problems as a result of the selective breeding that has gone on

i think this is what bothers some people

Epic

Juvie Member
jml_3":01c99 said:
the way i would do things would have no linebreeding or inbreeding involved

You may not be doing any inbreeding, but the morphs you will be using have been inbreeded, at some point. having said that, i really enjoy leathers, silks, smoothies, etc. there's a market for everything. customer demand isn't your main worry. for example, i would feel comfortable buying a 'special' (leather, silkie) only from a well known reputible breeder. if you're just starting up, you may not be a big hit. but work with 'normal' beardies for several years, and then introduce more abnormal dragons. just my 2 cents

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Morphs are kind of cool and the reputable breeders have outcrossed them to make them more healthy so that their future lines are stronger. Trans have been out for more than 5 years and they have crossbred to make them stronger, its taken a while since it is a recessive trait. Leathers have been around a few years and they are easily ourcrossed because of the codominance.

It's like ice cream, there's more than 31 flavors, get what you like.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom