More on cannibalizing hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Just thought I'd share... although it's not news you WANT to hear about, but I wanted to confirm that hornworms can cannibalize each other. There was a recent thread about it on the forums but I never thought I'd ever see it myself. Turns out there wasn't enough food in the cup, and this evening I found small pieces of nibbled on dead hornworm. To tide them over, I put in pieces of potato for moisture. I know it's probably not an ideal source of food, but the homemade hornworm chow recipes I found online seem to be a lot of work for worms that will probably be eaten in the next day or two. Hopefully Nero will eat them all before the carnage gets worse!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gah! I will make sure mine have enough food! *goes and checks right now* :shock:

Gregg1958

Hey, been down that cannibalizing road before. If you run out of food, grated carrots are the next best thing to use.

Also, check out Great lake Hornworms, his food is the easiest and has no oder. You just buy a bag of his food, add very hot water, mix 4 minutes, pour into his feeder cups or any other container and put in the fridge. Check out his web-site http://www.greatlakeshornworm.com. Because of his receipie, the chow is lite brown and doesn't stain the dragons or cage like Mulberry Farms does, and he is cheaper!

I have been buying eggs from him for a year now and never had a problem. His shipping is cheap (US Mail) and his products have always been alive and thriving.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I've considered buying the eggs and chow instead of the worms. I may yet do it sometime. But I do get both hornworms and superworms from Great Lakes. That's a great company :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom