More Newbie Questions - Handling and Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoVerySheri

Hatchling Member
I have had my two beardies for not quite a week now. Here is a link to some info on them (except I believe they are more like 9" head to end of tail.)

http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94956&hilit=

I am already slightly obssessed with these babies. Wow are they smart, fun and addicting!

My first question is about handling them at this size. I realize some adjustment to me and their new home comes in to play...however, is this enough handling a day for now? I remove them for cricket feedings in the am and pm, I have given them two baths in the bathtub (so cute) so far and I talk to them quite a bit, pet them and just put my hand in their tank while talking. They are naturally skittish and try to get out of my hand, so I don't sit with them for long outside of their tank otherwise. Any tips on doing this with them being so fast and so small or is what I am doing enough?

I have read that these guys are quite the little pigs, but have yet to see it. They eat up to 6 crickets in the am and pm feedings, so maybe a dozen total a day. I leave a collard green salad with either apples, carrots or green beans (trying new things) all day in their tank but they don't each much of that either. I did have lettuce in the first two days until I read it wasn't a good diet for them and they ate almost all of that! Go figure. Should I just switch up the ingredients until I find one they devour? LOL!

They are very active and poo a couple of times a day, so I am not terribly worried about the small amount they eat for right now.

Any advice or tips are appreciated!

redflea13

It may take a while to adjust to their new environment before they get a good apetite. You can give them green leaf lettuce mixed in with other greens. You'll want to limit their handleing until they get used to you. But what you are doing sounds o.k.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Sounds like you are off to a great start!
They are small and fast which makes it difficult to have them out and about. I use a small room, like the bathroom, when I want to let my small ones run around outside the tank. Sometimes my daughter sits in the tub with Calypso.

It can take a few weeks for the babies to get used to their new environment. Some can take a bit longer. It won't be long before they are eating quite a bit and you will wonder how to keep that many bugs in the house. ;) As for salads, some babies refuse to eat them until they are older (and some older dragons don't like them much either, LOL) but keep offering them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom