Mohammad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiNi5T3R

So I just got my beardie today and he is pretty sweet. I got him at pets mart for 60$ yeah i know I hate getting reptiles from petsmart because there usually sick but there bearded dragons actually look pretty healthy and i picked the one that was most active looking.

i got a few questions tho, when I first get him and put him in his new viv till he gets bigger, how long should it take for him to get used to everything? about a week or so?

second question is, do babys always just sit there with and look asleep alot? like even when i take him out of his tank and try to interact with him a bit he looks like hes dead then i put him in his tank and like 30 min later he starts being active again. also are there any lights that can hurt a beardie? like i think i got a red uv light for some aquatic turtles i used to have but i dont know if it will hurt him if i put it over the basking area. right now iv got a bulb just for heat but nothing for uv at the moment.

also how long will it take for him to start eating? are beardies pretty good about eating right away or does it take them a day or two? i got some mealworms for him but he just looks at them like hes a little tard lol..

and how do you sex them?

here are a few pics of him

Resampled_2012-08-25_22-42-25_180.jpg

2012-08-25_17-49-57_695.jpg

hi new lizard friend.
Firstly how old is it,
2nd your food is too big, it should be the size - half the distance between the two eyes.
3rd you need to feed it crickets everyday and add its greens, salad every other day (rocket).
don't forget to dust all your food with calcium & multi vitamin powder. when older, around 6 months old you can start feeding it locus and mealworm, again selecting the right size.
4th you cant sex them until they are around 6 months old. it is easier to sex them when they are bigger.
5th lighting, you need U.V. lighting for at least 10 hours per day.
6th heat, your red light is ok for night time use, is it a heat light. your temperature needs to be between 80f & 110f for young beardies, can be altered when older to between 80f -97f. 80f being night time temperature.

He's very cute. We already had our setup ready when we got our little guy. Hopefully this website can get you setup so he can have a long healthy life.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
You can find the care sheets here. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/ I'm noticing quite a few things you are doing incorrectly such as not having a UVB, feeding with mealworms, and using sand. This forum is amazing. I have learned a lot the past couple of months. I'm sure you'll find it beneficial, too. :)

You need to get Repti Sun 10 immediately. Get the 24" tube one. You can get a cheap fixture from Walmart for $8. The Zoo Med one is a rip off. Don't get the coiled bulb though. Not having UVB could be a reason why your beardie is not eating on top of the fact that he is stressed from relocation.

Red heat lamp is NOT ok for night time use. Beardies can see the light. Most houses don't need to heat beardies at night anyway. If your house gets colder than 65F, use ceramic heat bulb that has no light.

What are your temperatures on the cool side and on the basking spot? How do you measure them?

All of these things affect your baby's behaviors and health. Babies should be alert though.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Being ureactive is definetly not normal for babies. The lack of UVB definetly could be the cause, as well as temps. Hopefully after a bit of reading up, you can get his home in ship shape and he will perk up! Until you get your UVB bulb, 30 min to an hour of natural sunlight will benefit him greatly. Take him out in a tall walled box or bin so he doesn't get lost.

An AMAZING place to order the bulb mentioned is www.petmountain.com. They have the Reptisun 10.0 tube for much cheaper than most other places.

Mealworms are not really a good feeder for beardies. They have very tough shells, made of chitin, that is hard or them to digest and can block up their system. Better feeders are crickets (the size or smaller than the space between your dragon's eyes).

I hope you find this site to be helpful, and that your dragon perks up soon. :)

SiNi5T3R

Original Poster
he just seems to want to sleep then he will wake up and walk around a bit sit in his water and then go back to bask in the heat. im not sure if the uv light that is red is uvb or not i think it is tho but soon he will be in a outdoor enclosure in a few days which will be nice for him. he ate a few crickets today and got them as soon as he sees them. he just doesnt move much when i pick him up so ima just leave him alone for a few more days before trying to hold him or anyting. ill do the outdoor thing tomorrow morning and let him chill for a while while im out there with him.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
The red bulb is not a UVB. It's just a red lightbulb. You could use a clear household lightbulb instead for much cheaper (for future reference)

SiNi5T3R

Original Poster
He will be in a 600 gallon enclosure outside and I live in arizona. Iv already got most the stuff to make it. I'm going to use the shelf liner stuff for the flooring and for the top iv got some nice mesh screen for the sun part and for the shade iv got some outdoor patio shade blocker material I'm going to use that is super nice. Ill post pictures when its done which should be soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom