Missing Anything?`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

I was a bearded dragon owner in the past to a couple of older rescues, so I kinda knew what I needed. But I am much more educated now and stoked to get myself a baby in a few weeks. I think I have everything covered but just making sure :D. It's been a few years...

Tank - 48 x 18 x 18 (55 gallons) with dual sliding screen tops
Substrate - Porcelain tile cut and obtained from Lowe's. Pretty awesome sandstone texture.
Backing - Brown stone replica silicone adhered to the rear glass
Bask/UV - 160W MVB with deep reflector dome on one side (107 optimized temp on driftwood spot)
Feeding - Medium shallow dish
Cool side - 100W Ceramic bulb (85 optimized temp)
Climb - 30" y-shaped sterilized driftwood. This thing is a beast and is big enough to last its lifetime.
Hide - Sterilized pavers that I can add to as he/she grows larger.
Greenery - Crassula argentea on the cool side in a clay pot/organic top soil. Thinking of adding an aloe on the hotter side to occupy some open space/add more green.

I feel like all I need is the most important part now. Can't wait.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! That looks pretty good so far. You may want to add a habba hut or some smaller branches to create a hide and some more shade but that's detail. Which MVB did you get? You'll want to set that at a height based on UVB output rather than temperature. You can adjust the temperature as needed with a secondary basking light or your CHE. The basking temp is good at 107. I'd lower the cool side a bit. I like to keep the cool side at around 75-80 during the day so there is a nice gradient.

calzonefalzone

Original Poster
Thanks! Good idea, I was thinking about making another paver hide on the right side, but a little larger. I have some sort of personal bias against habba huts for some reason, not sure why? Ha

My MVB is the Exo Terra Solar-Glo 160W bulb. I've used that and the Zoo Med in the past and the Exo seemed to work the best. However I am always open to suggestions for my next bulb in 9 months or so...

I was able to get the MVB side up to 112, and figured that was a little too hot so I raised the lamp stand a bit. The ceramic side is maxed out at 85, so bringing it down a bit should be easy enough. Is there a way to measure the UV intensity? I am a chemist by profession so I am all about measuring things if possible :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A Solarmeter is used to measure UVB intensity. The Solarmeter 6.2 measures the intensity and the 6.5 model measures UV Index which I like to use for measurement of overall output. Based on the testing done at uvguide.co.uk for that bulb, it looks like the output drops off very quickly after initial burn-in and it doesn't provide much UVB at a distance. The results show the optimal output at only about 4'' from the bulb which is far too close to be safe. At 12'' which is a safer distance, the measured output is only about 1 UVI or 19uW/cm2 which is shade level and far too low for a dragon. This may be a fluke with one bulb or one batch but it would be worth getting a meter and testing it out if you have the means to do so (they are fairly expensive at around $200). I've found that the MegaRay and Arcadia MVBs tend to be higher quality and more consistent with good output. I like to use a T5 tube myself because it provides a nice wide, even beam across the basking zone which is easy for them to bask under.

calzonefalzone

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info! From the quick reading I did on the MegaRay, it seems to be miles away better than the Solar Glo.. Lucky enough I can return the Solar Glo to Amazon and get the MegaRay basically without penalty so I think I will go ahead and do that. Since I don't have my dragon yet, no harm no foul right?

If a UV detector wasn't so expensive I would probably buy it.. But it's a little more than I'd like to drop for one..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that you can return it. I like the Megaray I have, but I have the 100w. The output is good at about 12'' but no further and the beam is relatively narrow so I use it as a portable basking spot in the living room rather than in the tank. I'd go with the 160w at least if you want to use it in the tank so it has better power at a distance (probably around 14'' above the basking area).

calzonefalzone

Original Poster
Setup is complete! I was able to fill her up with a few more structures. I ended up moving it up to my third floor where it's a little warmer. The 160W MegaRay was only getting it up to 95 degrees at 12" through my screen top. All good now! Viv is in a window as well for some additional sunlight. I'll post some pics in the enclosure thread.

Hot side:

160W MegaRay MVB at 12" (108 degrees at 1:30 PM on a 90 degree day in NC)
Basking platform/hide made from pavers
Stairs up to platform/driftwood made of pavers

Cool side:

100W CHE which isn't needed right now as the ambient temp is 77 at mid-day. Will use as needed, probably will only be a wintertime thing.
Hide made of pavers with stairs up to the top
Live succulent in clay pot w/ topsoil

Temp at night got down to 72 degrees in the tank. Should be good right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looking great! If the CHE isn't needed, you could put a regular household incandescent in the secondary fixture for some additional lighting as long as it doesn't bump the temps too much on the cool side. If it's bright enough with just the Megaray though, that's fine.

calzonefalzone

Original Poster
Good call, putting another light there would definitely brighten up the cool side. The MegaRay keeps most of the tank bright, but it is 48" long so the far left side is a little dark. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If a traditional incandescent winds up putting out too much heat, you could try one of the 6500k R40 LED bulbs which should be nice and bright. Might wind up being too intense though so you'd need to play around with it a bit. I haven't tested those myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom