Milk thistle extract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniper

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Norbert is three years old and is a tough little survivor of various liver woes--she had surgery to remove a tumor from her liver last year, and the surgery also uncovered fatty liver disease. She recovered well and has been acting healthy in the year since, but I recently took her to a new vet to get a second opinion on treating her fatty liver. Her old vet just talked about feeding her right. I was dissatisfied with that, so I've been doing my own research and supplementing milk thistle seed powder, and was excited to learn that another reptile vet had opened practice in the area.

I am waiting on results from the blood panel the new vet is doing, but I want to get her set up with his other recommendations in the meantime. He actually brought up milk thistle extract, which was promising. He said I should be using a liquid form, because then it is easier to dose it precisely. I've been using a powdered form and mixing it into baby food. Does anyone have a brand of liquid milk thistle extract they know is safe and good to give to beardies? Or, failing that, recommendations on dosing the seed powder form?

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A healthy diet will certainly help. A nice wide variety of veges is a good idea. It will be good to have results from the new blood panel to compare and see progress so far. Milk thistle is also commonly used to treat liver issues. You can get some here http://www.bug-de-lite.com/ccp8/Item/Milk_Thistle Tracie should be able to help you with the dosage (Drache613).

How is the beardie now? Did you ever find out the correct dosage? I am curious because I have met a dragon who has a similar problem....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, did you ever try the milk thistle powder for your dragon?
I hope the blood test results weren't too bad when they came back!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom